Does your favorite breed match your personality?

barbieszoo

Songster
9 Years
Sep 7, 2010
Stillwater, OK
I was bored and got to thinking of this topic. I wonder how often a chicken-lover's favorite breed is their favorite due to the chicken's look representing something to them, or the chicken breed's basic personality matching the person's personality in some way.....

I'm planning on getting white silkies soon, and I was thinking about why those appeal to me so much. I like all chickens as long as they're friendly, but why am I drawn to silkies?
I went for them based on looks alone at first; then as I found out more about them, their tame, easygoing personality appealed to me too and just confirmed that I'd chosen a breed I'd enjoy. For me, the look of silkies reminds me of a pampered little posh fluffball fashionista, but since they are chickens they would also have the appeal of old-fashioned farm life. They are kinda like me - like Elly May Clampett - I live in town and I like to look all purty, but I'd rather just be out on the farm hanging out with all the critters. I'm also easy-going and gentle, and wouldn't get along as well with the independent, belligerent, or skittish type as with a tame, gentle little silkie.

Anybody else have any thoughts concerning why their favorite breed(s) is their favorite along these lines? Just curious....

My favourites are Silkies too. I'm a mother of 5 I'd love a couple more. I also have my own little hobby hatching eggs for people.
I think you may be on to something here, lol
lol.png

You might be onto something! I love Barred Rocks and Silver Laced Wyandottes! I love the contrast of the black and white feathers and the BRIGHT red combs.. I have red accents thru out my home.. and I wear a lot of black and white... LOL

Humm, mine are Sultans and Silkies. I've just always like Silkies because they have such fluffy feathers and have sweet little temperments.
love.gif
Sultans are just adorable, the same as silkies. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy is Part Silkie and Part Sultan = Siltan She has her own personality!
wink.png

Once she layed an egg in my quail house and ever since then she thinks that were she is suppost to lay her egg, you let her out in the morning and she rushes to the quail house door and waits for me to let her in!
lol.png
Then she jumps up on the table and terroizes ( SP?
hu.gif
) the quail while I get "Her" special Blue nesting box and fill it with just the right amount of shavings ... then I put it on the ground and she jumps off the table and rushes into the nesting box and plopps down ... she has her own style!
big_smile.png

My favorites are seramas and OEGBs! Both are very small and petite breeds (I like small things), come in a lot of different colors, friendly, cute, and have a lot of personality. Seramas don't breed true in color, and I really like that aspect of them (because I like surprises?).

I guess my two favorite breeds show that I like small and cute things, color, people and animals that are friendly and have a lot of personality, somewhat showy things, and to a degree I like surprises. I can't find anything deeper in it than that unless I think long and hard about it!

Back
Top Bottom