Does your rooster set up the nest box for his girls?

Moochie

Songster
9 Years
Nov 8, 2010
North Edwards
My silkie roo does. If a pullet needs to lay and egg, he goes in the nest box. Makes a little indent in the shavings, starts making the food noise, and once the girl is in he sticks by her side until she is finished.

Yep. Wouldn't be fond of keeping him if he didn't.
smile.png

Its so cute.

I didn't have my nest boxes built yet - I was thinking of having them built for their 20th week. Well about their 17th or 18th week, my EE rooster started scouting out possible nest locations. He checked all around the house, behind bushes and near support posts, and on the large covered deck behind furniture and things. Then he got the EE and RIR hens in a group, and led them to each possible place. I was sitting in a chair on the deck watching them go round to each place - he would go in and sit in the spot, wiggle his hind end like he was laying an egg and talking to the hens like "see, this place works". Then the hens would discuss its suitability - I heard a certain whiney note in the hen's comments. It was hilarious. When I got the nest boxes made, they all came, looked in, and discussed it too. It met their satisfaction.

They had never laid an egg before, and the roo was the same age as the hens of about 18 weeks old, and yet knew all about it. His mimicing the girls laying was priceless.

My young roo does the same thing! I didn't know to expect that, so my decision whether to keep or cull is even harder. He is so protective of the 5 girls, but is rough on them, too, practicing mating. No bald spots yet, just skittish around him when he's in a mood. I find it interesting that the whole flock seems to know when an egg is imminent. The roo reminds me of an expectant father, and the other girls of close family. Guess they are, in many ways.

What cute stories you all have of your roosters - thanks for sharing them. I have a Partridge Cochin rooster and 5 different breed hen. I tell him every day how beautiful...er.. handsome he is when I thank "his girls" for their eggs. They are so fun to watch and they are very much a family. These are my first chickens and I just love them.

Wow, you mean there are cute roos and even cuter stories to share???? I hope to see a roo do something like that before I die.
I did get a blue marans pair earlier in the year (from PeaChick) and so far he is a gorgeous gentleman. He is real quiet and dignified. No eggs yet from his wife. I must say he is the most beautiful, calmest roo I have ever seen.

Last edited:
I love to watch them prepare the nest for the girls. Then they have to deal with the picky girls too! LOL I see him go from nest to nest with her and he gets it ready and she is like"nope, not good enough, lets look at another one" LOL
I also love to watch my boys help care for chicks too. They help to watch over them and call them when they find them good treats!

We have a similar behaved rooster. The first time my six year old witnessed the nest prep, he shouted "Daddy, our rooster is gonna lay an egg!" LOL

Back
Top Bottom