Does your spouse or significant other support your chicken hobby?

He does. It has become a family thing, which is nice. We had our first loss within 3 months of having a small flock. I almost think it was better to lose one right away so that it reminds us to be diligent in how we allow free-range and that it is so very important to not get into leaving them on their own for extended amounts of time. (Even 20 minutes can be disastrous!) He isn't a builder, but I have the mind for it, just not so much the strengths. So I am the planner, and he is the muscle. If you ask him about the chickens, he will just say, the wife just tells me what to do and I say Yes Dear. He does enjoy it as much as I do though, he is like a kid bringing in the eggs. :D Especially if he thinks he has a double-yoker!

lol

Every day it is a race to see who gets to check for eggs. (Sons included) At one point we had an issue with the hens laying outside of the nesting boxes.. a collective nest out in the yard later found, so it us a running joke: If there isn't 5 eggs, your release papers won't be written until noon! (And yes, we both say that to the girls when we go out there. LOL)

Definatly not onboard in beginning,in fact not 100% there.
Yet.LOL,will not let me struggle with creating or moving things
.But he wasn't onboard with my Pit Bull that now sleeps beside him and is a spoilt lap dog,(thanks to ....you guessed it reluctant hubby!).
My Dixie Chicks are low budget and I believe this will help endear them to him.Right now encouragement,0$ is helping.I listen to his suggestions,appreciate his help,
My daughters reminded him,I am not getting goats or horses and trying to stop me is pretty much a waste of breath.
"Daddy,Ma brings home dogs,the neighbor gave her chicks,be thankful no one had an orphan elephant".
I'm thinking hubby may be counting his blessings about now!.

No... its my hobby and that is it......He has helped build my third coop (other 2 were purchased) but wants nothing to do them but will let them out to free range if he gets home before me. That's fine I do what I want anyway :)

Yes! I have swayed him to my side, though its still primarily all me. I think he would be happier if I traded our Black Australorps for EEs though :)

I say yes but a bit hesitantly! Think he will be 100% on board once we are done renovating the coop- been a big job and one that is taking way longer than we would have liked! There's been a bit of grumbling about this coop Reno!
That aside- he is coming with me for the hour long drive to pick up some new pullets this weekend...

3 years ago when I brought home my first 4 chicks I thought my husband was going to divorce me. I got 15 new chicks 8 weeks ago and he built me not one but 2 chick houses for them .. One when they where little that could be put on my front porch so we could see them and last week he finished a temporary coop and run for them to stay in until the big coop is finished. We are having a pole building put up and the chicks get the old shed. He goes out and feeds my older hens a treat every night and they follow him around when he mows getting all the bugs.. My adult son baby sits my girls whenever we travel and my grandson who is 6 thinks they are his pets. so I have to say Yes my family supports my chicken addiction.

DH has helped build coop and all the construction but he doesn't feel the same way I do about my girls he grew up being chickens are meat and eggs no frilly treats and pretty coops.

Back
Top Bottom