11 Years
Jul 10, 2010
southern AL
This is Tavarish, aka T, aka Dumb Dumb:
IMG_3425.jpg

This is Ally, Blue and Cadbury, aka The Ducklets:
P1020684.jpg

This is the problem:
T likes duck food. He's polite about it, he lets the ducklets have first chance at their breakfast, but if they don't eat it all, he finishes it off for them and then I have hungry ducks yelling to the neighborhood that T has cleaned them out again. Ducks are loud. T stinks (he can't eat stuff without digestive enzymes as he has a pancreas issue that prevents him from digesting food without external enzymes added - so if he eats stuff without enzymes, he STINKS).

The ducks spend much of the day in the dog yard - built for the dog that is no longer with us and the ducks seem to like hanging out there. Now they are finally getting braver and exploring the yard, but still spend time in the duck/dog yard. Their food is in there in a blue bin to keep it covered from rain.

This is the dog/duck yard - with T and Jet in it:
IMG_0065.jpg

We have temp fencing that T just climbs under to get into the duck yard to eat their food. I'd rather build a duck feeder than another section of fence and a gate to keep T out. Anybody else have a weather proof feeding station for their ducks that is also dog proof?
Right now I'm kind of thinking a box with the front made with the slats to match the fence - spaced large enough that they ducks can get through (they can get in and out of the fence through the fence if they want), but not large enough for Dumb Dumb to get his head in there to polish off their food.
But I'd like to see some other options before heading to HD/Lowes to pick some stuff up to build something.

I am not sure if Dux will use it or not but I have seen the chicken feeders that they stand on a bar and it opens the lid for them to eat. Of course, your dog may get the hang of it, as well.

And my barn cats are the worlds worse for eating the chicken and duck food I put out. Thank goodness they don;t eat much but still I feel like I am wasting food on either the cats or the chickens. Not sure which but the chickens like cat food some. My ducks won't touch cat food.

Good luck and I hope to see an answer that works for you.
frow.gif

I would get a clear plastic tub with lid. Drill holes large enough for the ducks heads into it so they can reach for it. I would put the food into bowl inside of the tub. That takes care of cleanup.

BTW my dogs raid the duck food too. It's the corn in it they really like. It's sweet to them.

I use a bucket with cattle wire attached to the top. The ducks, geese, and turkeys can reach their heads in and get the food, but the chickens can't -quite- reach it (they can get a little, but not a lot). If you did that and weighed down/nailed down the feeder then he would have to tear it open to get inside. Spray a little Bitter Apple on it if he tries to chew into it.

Sorry, I will be no help, but being a Doberman owner for over 23 years, I have to admit I giggled. Dobes sure do have a way of clearing out a room! They are such awesome dogs.

Back
Top Bottom