Duck attacking my little dogs.

Lee2017

Chirping
Jun 6, 2019
About a month ago my ducks one a mallard we have had him for about 5 years. Then I also have a Sweden runner we have had him this will be the 3rd summer. We have always had my dogs. But about a month ago a stray dog come into the yard and tortured our ducks he chased them for about 3 hrs. My Sweden got a broken wing his leg was broken no tail feathers. And the dog took off with my mallard. Now we just have the runner. These past two days the runner will charger full force at the dogs. The older one got pinned in a conner and she got his bill and he bleed a little. How can I stop him. They all have free range. Which my dogs only go out and come right back in. It's soon to be summer and they will enjoy being out. My mallard and the oldest one would always play together so she don't know how to react to the aggressive behavior from the duck. Any advice would be helpful

Sounds like something similar to PTSD mixed with hormone starting up. Honestly you should figure out a way to separate your dogs from the duck before the duck is killed. Build a pen for your Runner and only let him out with the dogs when you can supervise. My dachshunds would get tormented by our geese until I stopped it I used a long pole and when the geese would go to bully I would stop them by putting the pole between them and the dogs I had 3 at the time. I would never allow my ducks,, geese ,or chickens with my dogs unless I supervised them . You duck was attacked by a stray dog now he sees your dogs as an enemy. Plus his hormones are beginning to wake up which is double trouble. And thing I’d do is get your duck a friend I’m sure he is lonely or find him a new home with other ducks.

I don't want to find him a new home. Maybe if he was smaller and we wasn't attached to him. I wasn't sure if this behavior was because it's was close to matting time, was this the behavior of a runner. I've never had runners it's always been mallards. Or if it was because of him being attacked. When the dogs go out usually we are outside. He can be quicker then me sometime. Thank you for your advice I appreciate it

I don't want to find him a new home. Maybe if he was smaller and we wasn't attached to him. I wasn't sure if this behavior was because it's was close to matting time, was this the behavior of a runner. I've never had runners it's always been mallards. Or if it was because of him being attacked. When the dogs go out usually we are outside. He can be quicker then me sometime. Thank you for your advice I appreciate it
I'm sorry that the stray dog got in your yard and caused such damage. Your surviving runner needs ducky company, preferably more than one duck. The aggression against your dogs may settle down if you get more ducks.

I love runner ducks, but many are skittish to begin with, and this poor guy has been traumatized and left lonely, which is likely to exaggerate his reactions to the world in general. In his little tormented, feathered head, he is fighting for his life every time he sees a dog.

When my dogs are out, they are contained by a fenced yard north of the house. The poultry -- when they are uncooped -- are contained by a fence on the south side of the house. I NEVER allow the two communities to meet. I am always outside when the dogs are.

When my runners feel threatened, they scurry back into their house/shelter. Does your boy have a special place where he can feel safer?

Please get the little guy some duck companions. He's used to being part of a flock, and the world is a scary place for him now. Until that can happen, maybe you could just spend more time keeping him company and making him feel more secure.

Aww I'm sorry he's been traumatized by the stray dog. He's sounds like a very smart little guy. He lost his friend and was badly injured from that stray, so it's no wonder he feels that way - even many people would have PTSD and feel threatened by dogs after such an encounter!

I'm sure some duckie friends will make him feel safer though. Just like people, ducks can be scared to live alone, and doubly so if they've been attacked before.

Aww I'm sorry he's been traumatized by the stray dog. He's sounds like a very smart little guy. He lost his friend and was badly injured from that stray, so it's no wonder he feels that way - even many people would have PTSD and feel threatened by dogs after such an encounter!

I'm sure some duckie friends will make him feel safer though. Just like people, ducks can be scared to live alone, and doubly so if they've been attacked before.

I love runner ducks, but many are skittish to begin with, and this poor guy has been traumatized and left lonely, which is likely to exaggerate his reactions to the world in general. In his little tormented, feathered head, he is fighting for his life every time he sees a dog.

When my dogs are out, they are contained by a fenced yard north of the house. The poultry -- when they are uncooped -- are contained by a fence on the south side of the house. I NEVER allow the two communities to meet. I am always outside when the dogs are.

When my runners feel threatened, they scurry back into their house/shelter. Does your boy have a special place where he can feel safer?

Please get the little guy some duck companions. He's used to being part of a flock, and the world is a scary place for him now. Until that can happen, maybe you could just spend more time keeping him company and making him feel more secure.
He is a house duck. I know they aren't supposed to be housed but mine where. Him And my mallard. They go out in morning and cone in at night. Or they will knock when they wanted in. My ducks have always been with my little dogs. I have 2 little one. My mallard and older dog would play they never harmed each other.. when we aren't home my runner cones in. By his choice. He has stayed out may e 3 times since its happened. He goes to the pond. I wouldn't mind another duck but u have to buy them in pairs.

He is a house duck. I know they aren't supposed to be housed but mine where. Him And my mallard. They go out in morning and cone in at night. Or they will knock when they wanted in. My ducks have always been with my little dogs. I have 2 little one. My mallard and older dog would play they never harmed each other.. when we aren't home my runner cones in. By his choice. He has stayed out may e 3 times since its happened. He goes to the pond. I wouldn't mind another duck but u have to buy them in pairs.
We have a rehoming and a buy sell trade forum here on BYC might check there and also your state forum it is in "Where am I where are you"

Back
Top Bottom