Dog attack, 1 duck dead 1 with injuries need advice.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by hennible, Sep 14, 2014.

1. hennible

hennible Overrun With Chickens

One of my dogs yes my dogs killed one drake and attacked another. The duck escaped by wedging himself in between a pen and a retaining wall. A space of only 6 inches maybe, I had to cut the wire to remove the duck. Now despite total lack of obviousness injury one leg is not working. All joints, tendons and bones appear fine. Also his bill is banged up. I will be bring him in to see if he can swim in the rub. Any thought on what to look for as to the leg, and is there anything I need to do for his bill?
    [​IMG]

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Keep him calm and quiet and give him a chance to recover - then evaluate his ability to use the leg. The bill doesn't look bad at all - and should recover on it's own.

3. hennible

He isn't using the injured leg to swim it just drags behind him. But he can bare weight on it if I help him stand. There is a tiny wound on the affected leg, but not a bite, more like the feather where pulled out as he squeezed into his hiding spot. Any ideas? Should I wait to see if he recovers or butcher him? :(

4. hennible

Thank you, he did stand on his own earlier. Better put the axe away I guess ( I use humour when upset all be it dark humour).
    He's is quiet and safe, water and food close by. I'm keeping him with the others right now seeing as they really seem to need each other's company to stay calm.

5. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    So he has used the leg now? If so, that is a great improvement.

6. hennible

Much better than dragging it. I'm wondering if it's a bad strain from cramming himself into such a small space. He crawled 5 feet in a six inch wide space, poor bird. Tomorrow I hope to see him walk a bit if he managed to stand up tonight. Fingers crossed.

7. Ibicella

Ibicella Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2009
    Everett, WA
    He's probably bruised his leg up pretty bad. It doesn't sound though that culling will be necessary. I think all he needs is rest, but perhaps someone here can recommend something for any pain and swelling he may have.

So terribly sorry about what happened. May your other duckie rest in peace.

8. hennible

To make myself more clear yes he used it, he stood up on his own and sat back down after a few seconds.

9. hennible

No change he can stand but drags it if he tries to move... Its really sad. Just watch and wait another day.

10. chick magnate

chick magnate New Egg

Sep 15, 2014
    Make shure the foot doesn't get infected because if it happens take him to a vet as fast as you can.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by