Dog attack. 1 hen dead, 2 missing, 1 safe.

cleanwash

Hatching
Aug 7, 2018
Hello there. My hens have been happily free ranging for a few months now. They have a large coop with multiple covered areas as well as many options for cover throughout the property. I’ve been outside and witnessed their response to hawks and have been quite confident with their cautious and dilligent response. Dogs are certainly a different story though. I can’t exactly confirm that it was a dog but the poor girl only had damage done to her neck and have read that this is likely from a dog (any other ideas?). It has now been two days since they went missing. There are no signs of feathers or any other indications that they were killed like the other. I’ve gone out multiple times a day searching and calling for them. Is there anything that I can do aside from wait and hope?

I brought the remaining hen inside the first night and have been giving her as much attention as possible but am concerned about her being alone. How long is too long to wait for the others to return?

They have probably been scared out of their wits and wont return to the area indefinitely. How many days has it been since they were gone? Please don't get your hopes up. If they haven't returned for more than three days, they're probably a goner.

It has been two days. While caring for another person’s chickens years ago, a hen who was being terrorized by the roosters (whom I shortly after got rid of) disappeared without a trace for two days. I found her hiding under a woodpile as quiet as can be and brought her to the fenced garden to get some peace. I know how good they can be at hiding, haven’t given up hope yet. Thanks for your reply

I can’t exactly confirm that it was a dog but the poor girl only had damage done to her neck and have read that this is likely from a dog (any other ideas?).

What you describe is generally attributed to raccoons, not dogs.

I have a hen that survived the same thing and I can tell you that no dog could have gotten into my chicken pen! Only a raccoon or possum could get in through spaces I thought nothing could go through!

After losing three hens over a week, I've since secured my pen so that not even a mouse can get in!

BTW, so far, her feathers haven't grown back, but I'm waiting for molt, which will hopefully take care of the issue.

I have a hen that survived the same thing and I can tell you that no dog could have gotten into my chicken pen! Only a raccoon or possum could get in through spaces I thought nothing could go through!

After losing three hens over a week, I've since secured my pen so that not even a mouse can get in!

BTW, so far, her feathers haven't grown back, but I'm waiting for molt, which will hopefully take care of the issue.
She said they were free ranging, and yes, I too think it is a dog...... they usually just take one quick bite to the neck area and kill it without leaving much blood.

It sounds like you got lucky! Though I am sure it was a dog and not a raccoon since she was left under a bush otherwise fully intact. I can’t imagine that a raccoon would expend the energy to kill her without enjoying a meal afterward.

Leaving it behind may indeed be a domestic dog...
....or another canine(or other pred) that got scared off before retrieving it's meal.

Welcome! So sorry for your loss, and I agree that it's unlikely that anyone will return after a couple of days. Foxes are also possible, or dogs, during the daytime. Your predator will return, so make sure that your coop and run are really secure, and don't have anyone out for weeks, at least.
A game camera would be interesting here too.
Electric fencing, properly set up, will keep most ground predators at bay.
Mary

Hello there. My hens have been happily free ranging for a few months now. They have a large coop with multiple covered areas as well as many options for cover throughout the property. I’ve been outside and witnessed their response to hawks and have been quite confident with their cautious and dilligent response. Dogs are certainly a different story though. I can’t exactly confirm that it was a dog but the poor girl only had damage done to her neck and have read that this is likely from a dog (any other ideas?). It has now been two days since they went missing. There are no signs of feathers or any other indications that they were killed like the other. I’ve gone out multiple times a day searching and calling for them. Is there anything that I can do aside from wait and hope?

I brought the remaining hen inside the first night and have been giving her as much attention as possible but am concerned about her being alone. How long is too long to wait for the others to return?

When you say damage to the neck, can you describe the damage? Any feathers around the dead hen? Not to sound too graphic, however, every hawk attack I've experienced has been the same - damage to the neck area.

Back
Top Bottom