Dog attack and who saved the flock **Graphic PICS** He didn't make it

tonini3059

[IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Luv
11 Years
Nov 6, 2008
Southwestern PA
So apparently a dog came to check out my birds today while my husband and I were gone. My husband and I had a DR appt today so I skipped out of class early so I could come home and get some stuff taken care of before we had to leave. Well I came home to find bodies, feather clumps, and injured birds everywhere it even went into the coop and attacked/killed birds. I was in a state of shock, and noticed Gobbles my gobbler was missing, but I couldn't find a body I didn't really care about anything else, he is my absolute favorite bird. He is so friendly and loves to show off when we have visitors. There were feather clumps and feather trails throughout at least 1/2 acre through the woods and creek. He had to be fighting the dog the whole way. I couldn't find his body and it was bothering me I just wanted to know where he was dead or alive. At this point my husband came home and surveyed the damage and confirmed it was most likely a dog (the neighbor's beagle mix is always wondering around). We went up to the house to get ready to leave and I looked out the back window as I was getting dressed and low and behold out comes gobbles from down the hill. He must have chased that dog almost 1/2 mile home up two hills even. He is missing most of his feathers and has some puncture wounds and a big gash to the bone on his back. I am so proud of him and mad that he did that. If he wasn't fending off the dog who knows how much more damage it would have done. I cleaned him up and have him in the house...I am hoping he makes it he is such a good bird.
Damage done:
It killed 17 chickens that we know of, 1 turkey poult, at least 3 other injured chickens and 1 injured gobbles.

18120_gobbles_attack_036.jpg

18120_gobbles_attack_035.jpg

Last edited:
I'm so glad he's going to be OK. Maybe a litte Rescue Remedy in his water to help him get over the shock? You've got a brave little angel there...

Poor guy! He looks terrible. Good on him for doing his job. I hope it doesn't cost him his life. Take good care of that boy.

Sorry about your devastating losses. Time for a game cam to catch the culprit in the act. If it is the neighbors' dog then I would be collecting some damages from them. Good luck.

And the predator...what did you do about him? Have you set a trap, or contacted the neighbor?? He will definitely be back for more.

How wonderful that Gobbler survived!! I'd definitely add some Rescue Remedy to his water. In a couple of days, I'd add ACV. Hopefully, Gobbler won't go into shock.

So sorry for your loss...

My husband did go up there and say that he was just curious if they had seen there dog today or if it came back muddy, with a present or with feathers on him. She said she seen him this morning then he went into the fields with her FIL (whose cows fields are adjacent to my property) Then he disappeared for awhile and is now back with my FIL. My husband then said what happened to our birds and she asked if we thought it was her dog and my husband just said that on two occasions the dog was down on our property and several more I had seen it on the road in various areas..which I am surprised it never got hit considering I almost hit it twice. She said she would let us know and that they had had chickens and ducks before and experienced the same things and felt terrible if it was hers and said that they had just bought a shock collar for it. It sucks that it happened and they are aware of it, but if I see the dog on my property again even just looking at my birds I won't hesitate to shoot it they were given warning about it.

Last edited:
At least you appear to have a neighbor that cares how you feel. For the life of me, I'll never understand why people don't take better care of their dogs and I mean not letting them run loose. I'm so sorry you've been put through this...

OMG how horrible !
hit.gif
I just said a prayer for your family and chicks, God Bless them and God Bless this beautiful bird whom you've posted a picture. So brave ! I hope he recovers what a beauty.......

I will also pray that whatever dog/ animal did this gets whats due to it......and if I lived closer that would mean a nice ol' bullet from my shotgun.
somad.gif

I feel like giving your bird a big ol' hug! Poor thing.
hugs.gif
xoxoxoxoxoxoxo

Poor poor baby! he looks so so sad and hurt. I hope he perks up for you real soon--big brave boy---was he all gimpy when you saw him...I cant imagine how scared he was? awwww
hugs.gif
I just want to hug him and you Im so sorry for your loss

Back
Top Bottom