Dog attack (graphic image)

Thank you!
The weak Betadine was fine at first, but I would switch to saline or a wound spray such as Vetericyn to spray on the wound, then use either triple antibiotic Neosporin twice a day to coat the wound. Manuka honey or medihoney is good as well. Leave it open, and eventually, the wound will come together.

By skin flap, I was referring to any flaps of outer skin that were torn loose. But these flaps are only good for use as skin grafts as long as they still are connected to a blood supply. Once the blood supply is cut off, the flap begins to die and can't be used. You did what you needed to do by removing that flap as it likely was already colonized by bacteria that couldn't be removed by cleansing. Treating a wound quickly sometimes allows a skin flap to be used as a graft, greatly reducing chance of infection and healing time.

Triple antibiotic ointment can be bought over the counter anywhere that sells bandaids and wound salves and sprays. It's like Neosporin but has three antibiotics instead of just one.

By skin flap, I was referring to any flaps of outer skin that were torn loose. But these flaps are only good for use as skin grafts as long as they still are connected to a blood supply. Once the blood supply is cut off, the flap begins to die and can't be used. You did what you needed to do by removing that flap as it likely was already colonized by bacteria that couldn't be removed by cleansing. Treating a wound quickly sometimes allows a skin flap to be used as a graft, greatly reducing chance of infection and healing time.

Triple antibiotic ointment can be bought over the counter anywhere that sells bandaids and wound salves and sprays. It's like Neosporin but has three antibiotics instead of just one.
Thank you for the clarification.

Thank you to everyone for your advice. Missy seems to be doing well so far. We have been using the Manuka honey in the late afternoons as we are concerned about flies earlier in the day (it is currently summer where we live). Hopefully she continues to recover.

Back
Top Bottom