Dog attack-- hen pecking at her own wound?

TurkeyTheQuail

Songster
Jul 12, 2020
Greenville, SC
a few days ago one of my girls was bit by a dog, I cleaned it out with hydrogen peroxide and I've been applying Neosporin a few times a day. She's been eating and drinking well but she's been pecking at the wound, and not giving it time to heal. Does anyone know what I can do? I was going to bandage it but I wanted it to air out so there wasn't any risk of infection from moisture. any advice is appreciated!

Where is the wound located, and do you have a picture?
This is the wound, and the 3rd picture is her pecking at it. (also she hasn't been messing with it until today)
1634918546486.png
1634918602216.png
1634918634809.png

I've heard of this blue spray you can apply to cuts that makes birds not care for the wound as much but I don't think she's attracted to the color, I think it just hurts or is itching

I cannot see the wound down in the feathers. Is it deep or scabbed over? Two of the best things to use is either chlorhexidene in Hibiclens from your pharmacy, or Vetericyn hydrogel from the feedstore or TSC. Then plain Neosporin or Triple Antibiotic Ointment can go on after is dries to keep the wound moist until it heals. BluKote or Wound Kote is a mostly for mild scrapes, but not deep wounds or punctures. I would not use the peroxide again.

I cannot see the wound down in the feathers. Is it deep or scabbed over? Two of the best things to use is either chlorhexidene in Hibiclens from your pharmacy, or Vetericyn hydrogel from the feedstore or TSC. Then plain Neosporin or Triple Antibiotic Ointment can go on after is dries to keep the wound moist until it heals. BluKote or Wound Kote is a mostly for mild scrapes, but not deep wounds or punctures. I would not use the peroxide again.
Thank you for the advice! turns out she had maggots in the wound which would explain her pecking at it, so I had to pick those out. They were in a little pocket of skin which is shown better in the second image. It looks like the dog didn't get past much skin and just tore feathers out.

I'll definitely check out the things you recommended! I'll make sure to update too.
1634934262288.png
1634934425113.png

Thank you for the advice! turns out she had maggots in the wound which would explain her pecking at it, so I had to pick those out. They were in a little pocket of skin which is shown better in the second image. It looks like the dog didn't get past much skin and just tore feathers out.

I'll definitely check out the things you recommended! I'll make sure to update too.
View attachment 2874953View attachment 2874956
You can also try a saddle for her. Down under makes a good one and it's on amazon

Back
Top Bottom