Dog Attack! How Long Will Chickens Stay Hidden?

Sukiyaki

In the Brooder
11 Years
Oct 19, 2008
Houston Area, Texas
We had a dog get after our chickens today. One chicken was injured and two were missing. The two that had disappeared were the best of friends and had always been together. We found one after about an hour of searching, perfectly fine and hiding. Since then about another hour or two has gone by with still no signs of the missing chicken.

There are no feathers--no blood. We think she's probably hiding in the yard somewhere. I know that chickens go into a trance-like state when they hide and can stay like that for a while, and I'm not sure whether or not to give up hope.
sad.png

Does anyone know how long a chicken will stay hidden?

Don't give up, yet! She is probably hiding and will come home at dusk. Keep an eye out for her until dark. Then resume the search at dawn. I had a hen go missing after an attack and she showed up the next morning. Good luck.

They can hide in some pretty small areas. I had a 7 month old pullet hide in about a 2 inch gap between a garbage can and foundation once. I spent 3 hours searching, never moved the can cause I thought "no way too small"

Imp now knows better (Well about that maybe)

Quote:
Funny. I had a similar thing happen. I had a hen go missing, looked everywhere for her. I was standing on my front step talking to my husband about the missing hen when I hear rustling basically under my feet. I looked down and there she was in a tiny hole under my step. Almost gave me a heart attack. They can fit into tiny openings and sit so still that it's impossible to see them.

I live on 5 acres with more 5 acres plots all around me and my hens got attacked by some kind of predator a day ago. I seen three sets of feathers but no blood or body parts. I've looked everywhere calling for them and even shaking there treat bag non stop. Found 2 and still have 9 missing. I hope others have made it and are just in hiding.
Anybody have any other thoughts on what I could try to find them?

I live on 5 acres with more 5 acres plots all around me and my hens got attacked by some kind of predator a day ago. I seen three sets of feathers but no blood or body parts. I've looked everywhere calling for them and even shaking there treat bag non stop. Found 2 and still have 9 missing. I hope others have made it and are just in hiding.
Anybody have any other thoughts on what I could try to find them?

I had a fox attack in the spring, It got one and 2 others hid. One came home at dusk. Looked everywhere for the other until dark~no sign. Hoped to see her walking around next morning but nothing all day. I figured she was no more. At dusk my neighbor called to tell me that my chicken was sitting on a ladder on their porch. I had to carry her home (happily). She must have run so fast that she forgot how to get home or was too scared to try to get home alone. I live in the same kind of 5acre, 5acre. 5acre set up. Don't give up yet! I hope you find them :)

well let me tell you one day one of my brown naked neck was missing ,im not joking 7 months later i when to backyard she was there ,i knew it was her beacuse she didnt fight with some but the new ones i got after she was missing , i still have her i really dont know where she was all that time

well let me tell you one day one of my brown naked neck was missing ,im not joking 7 months later i when to backyard she was there ,i knew it was her beacuse she didnt fight with some but the new ones i got after she was missing , i still have her i really dont know where she was all that time

that's awesome! Maybe she hung out with some wild turkeys until she happened back by your place :)

Back
Top Bottom