Dog attack - internal injury?

Hard for me to make out ... where on her body is this dime-sized thing we are looking at? I'm so sorry this happened, I know how shocking and distressing it is when you have a panic-inducing episode like this. She looks pretty calm, so good on you for getting her settled!
She has been amazingly calm! It is under her vent, about a third of the way down slightly to the right. It almost has an oily texture to it. Unfortunately, I had a 4 day emergency room visit with one of my other two legged chickens, so a trip to the vet is out. I almost wonder if it isn’t a puncture I initially missed and part of her intestine snuck out. But there is no bruising around it like there is on the rest of her. She is a one and a half year old Red Sexlink named Gabby.

Actual abdominal injuries won't be manageable, likely with or without vet assistance. It's just too difficult to control infection, even if nothing is torn in there.
Otherwise, she may recover with nursing care. :fl
Mary

She has been amazingly calm! It is under her vent, about a third of the way down slightly to the right. It almost has an oily texture to it. Unfortunately, I had a 4 day emergency room visit with one of my other two legged chickens, so a trip to the vet is out. I almost wonder if it isn’t a puncture I initially missed and part of her intestine snuck out. But there is no bruising around it like there is on the rest of her. She is a one and a half year old Red Sexlink named Gabby.

I see. Thanks. Hmm. If it is what you think, the hole may have to be stitched shut so the intestine doesn't get herniated to the outside of her body. Think you can do that?

Thanks. The one vet I know won’t give me antibiotics without seeing her. Is there something I can get from Tractor Supply?
Yikes, stitching? I’m absolutely willing to give it a try, but am I just prolonging her suffering? Am I doing this just for me? She is taking it all like a champ.
After doing more reading on this forum, I went back with the Veteracyl and cleaned the area and there is a very thin flap that I was able to push the protrusion back in and cover it, but it isn’t holding. Can I use a band-aid? I didn’t realize I had Blu-Kote and I hit two of the areas with that. Thanks all!!

Thanks. The one vet I know won’t give me antibiotics without seeing her. Is there something I can get from Tractor Supply?
Yikes, stitching? I’m absolutely willing to give it a try, but am I just prolonging her suffering? Am I doing this just for me? She is taking it all like a champ.
After doing more reading on this forum, I went back with the Veteracyl and cleaned the area and there is a very thin flap that I was able to push the protrusion back in and cover it, but it isn’t holding. Can I use a band-aid? I didn’t realize I had Blu-Kote and I hit two of the areas with that. Thanks all!!
Well, if I was you I would bring her to the vet, she might just have to be put down humanely. I think you can get antibiotics at the pet store, they are actually fish antibiotics but they are the same. You also have to give them the right antibiotic for their condition and also for their weight. Then depending on the antibiotic there are different periods of time you must wait before you eat the eggs.

You might be able to use a butterfly bandage or medical tape to hold it together, but you’d want to leave a little bit open the aerate it or drain if it’s infected. A vet would rinse it out thoroughly before closing it because dog germs. Because of the concern of infection she might not survive. Poor bird.

Honestly, not the worse I’ve seen. I have HAD some pretty red-neck friends who think it’s funny to watch their dogs tear up chickens which I seriously hate them for that. I was able to take one that had been attacked and she looked like she was dead when I first got her. I remember she had about a half an inch deep gaping whole in her Back and a broken foot and obviously feather loss and some bruises. She ended up being fine but never grew her feathers back and walks around with a tiny limp but she is a happy bird. Maybe that will you give you some hope? I definitely think your little girl can make it out this little accident okay hopefully. Definitely make sure she stays in a warm place or maybe somewhere with a heat lamp as her not having to put energy into keeping warm will give her more energy for healing. Make sure the wounds stay clean and check them daily, easiest thing to use to clean them out would be saline. Then I would apply antibiotic ointment to the wounds daily as well. I would keep food available to her all the time Incase she wants some. You can try giving her a little bit of non-Medicated chick feed (will give her some more energy) mixed with her normal feed. She will need to have some sort of antibiotic or electrolyte water, my favorite is Durvet vitamins & electrolytes and Durvet Probiotics which both mix into water. You could also you Save-Chick, whatever is available to you. I’m sorry this has happened, it truly is a terrible thing and I’m praying for you and your hen!

Back
Top Bottom