Dog attack - internal injury?

That is so sad and I feel so bad for you! Have you ever thought about training your dog to coexist with your chickens? Rottweilers are pretty smart dogs and easy to train.

I’ll look into it, but sadly I’m terribly inconsistent. I would probably never be fully comfortable. That said, it’s worth the effort if for no other reason than to avoid accidents if one of the kids or their friends let’s them out. Right now the rule is if friends are over the hens are up. Google, here I come for training tips!

Sweet Gabby, who made grocery store XL eggs look puny decided some time in the night she had had enough and I lost her. I was losing sleep and went in to check on her and she is gone. Now I need to make sure the dogs are never outside when the hens are out of their pen. We already knew we ran the risk of predators. I should have not let the dog out to pee or should have clipped her wings as soon as I knew she would fly in the yard. Only you all would understand how it is so easy to get upset about losing a hen.

I am so sorry that she didn’t make it. Sometimes the damage we don’t see is greater than what we do see.

My useless Doberman has gone after my chickens three times. Once they were in their pen and she couldn’t get to them but this last time it was soooo close. We now have an e-collar on her when we take her out. Using this her recall has improved. It will be a long time if ever I’ll trust her near the birds. Her prey drive is high. So I don’t want to make it about me I just want to say you’re not alone.

:hugs

I’ll look into it, but sadly I’m terribly inconsistent. I would probably never be fully comfortable. That said, it’s worth the effort if for no other reason than to avoid accidents if one of the kids or their friends let’s them out. Right now the rule is if friends are over the hens are up. Google, here I come for training tips!
Well, it’s whatever you feel most comfortable with. It’s true, that to train a dog you have to be able to be super consistent. Wish you luck!

so sorry for your loss, thoughts and prayers are with you and others that have suffered this kind of loss, you did you best and she is at peace. Sometimes it's inside we cannot see but you did do everything you could.

Back
Top Bottom