DOG ATTACK NECK EXPOSED! HELP! PICTURES!

My book, "Plumb's Veterinary Drug Handbook" has two listings for amoxicillin:

• 125mg/kg every 12 hours
  • 100mg/kg every 8 hours

I think you said you have the 400mg/5ml, so that means that there are 80mg per 1 ml or 8mg per 1/10ml.
1kg = 2.2 pounds
1ml = 1cc

-Kathy

Last edited:
Crop feeding videos

These are using a crop needle, not a plastic tube.

This one uses a tube like I use:

-Kathy

Last edited:
Hello,
Can you tell me what happened with your chicken incident? I had this happen to me yesterday and I was able to see the chickens spinal cord and inside her throat. She was however still foraging and acting normal. I took her to an emergency animal hospital and the doctor said she will need to have a full on 1000 dollar surgery, which I couldn’t afford and sadly I put her down because I didn’t want her to be miserable for the rest of her life with muscle tearing that will never heal (as the veterinarian told me)
Thank you

Hello everyone. I joined this website to be able to post. I was googling help for dog bitten chickens! ANYWAY:
Today my new puppy and older dog (who has NEVER bothered my girls) attacked and nearly took the neck off one of our chickens!
I have included pictures. This attack happened very quickly as they were only left outside and unattended for about 15 minutes. I must note that she is foraging and walking around and even going to her drinking trough regularly. I cant seem to catch her to start ER procedures! Should I put her down or does anyone think this is a recoverable condition? Her neck is working just fine. NO BLEEDING. I am going on watching her walking all over the yard for about 4 hrs now with no signs of her being bothered. It is cold out and I want to do SOMETHING. I am just not sure if we should put her down or begin other saving measures. THIS IS A BAD LOOKING WOUND.

That is a green leaf that she wont let me get near enough to her to pull out of her wound. I have read that chickens can recover from a lot. I am unsure as to how much internal damage there is. First of all, the puppy was tiny.. Chihuahua mix. My other dog is a shitzhu. There is NO obvious dripping blood. It looks from the picture that she has been "cleaned" down to the bones of her neck! I'm crying and hysterical.I love my girls and never imagined this would happen so fast! We have had our chickens free range in the backyard with no incidents or problems for over 8 months until the puppy joined us last week. She has tried to chase them and this weekend I had to swat her hind end to keep her from doing that. Today was the worst day of all! She is getting rehomed tomorrow! My chicks come first!! HELP! PLEASE! ANY ADVICE IS GREATLY APPRECIATED! THANK YOU!

Here are more pictures (as promised). I took these before we really got going on the ER cleanup process.

Nelda's open back wound- she can open and flap her wings without any problem.

Above picture is of Nelda's right side of neck.. as I got more feathers removed from the sides... there is some hanging threads of skin from her left side. Again- she will extend and retract her neck with no bleeding or any squaking on her part... she was eating worms from our hands while we cleaned her. No issues with her eyes or injury to her ears or comb or wattles. No broken bones.

Above picture is a second, closer look at Nelda's open back and trying to snap picture of her left side of neck. I got most of the mud of her with three warm saline water soaks.

We have cleaned wounds, cut away feathers, and applied neosporine (sp) ointment with pain relief in it. I gave her asprin in water. She ate worms from hubby's hands the entire time I was removing debris and cutting feathers. Acted like she didn't even notice I was doing all this to her???? She is comfortably sleeping now in a plastic tub/storage bin surrounded by food and water and a warm towel (changing it often from dryer to keep her warm)
I know this was posted many years ago so there is a slim chance you will see this, but did your sweet hen recover and live?

The OP has not been online here for 9 years, so it might be better to start a new thread in the emergency thread about your chicken and include pictures.

Back
Top Bottom