Dog attack on my flock- one girl severly wounded need help!

STaggart

In the Brooder
6 Years
Aug 2, 2013
Little Rock, Arkansas
Ok, so I am new to the group so hello everyone!

This all started this past Tuesday I came home from dinner with my family to a back yard full of my dead girls! I was so devastated and still am to some degree. Now I've got 4 girls left- they managed to hide from the sneaky neighbor dog (which is now wounded... Oops). One of my girls came stumbling out of the shrubs and wasn't doing so well. I inspected her and found 3 puncture wounds on her mid back and one large wound where her back meets her tail: essentially the top of her tail has been gashed open. I immediately cleaned her up, clipped any feathers that were getting in the wounds, isolated her with warmth, and then went to researching on what to do next. I decided to go with the Blukote and Turmeric route. I have several questions since I have never had to deal with any type of wounds with my girls yet.

1. How long do I need to keep washing out the wounds and using the Blukote on her? I am cleaning out the wounds twice a day and reapplying Bluekote every time. Am I doing it too much?
2. How long do I need to keep her isolated? She seems like she wants to be with the other girls.
3. When can I start letting her free range again? She is going crazy being kept up all the time and every time we do the cleaning process she tries to fly away to be with the other girls.
4. She was my top girl. When she is integrated back into the flock will she resume her pecking order?
5. Would it help my other 3 girls that are alive and well if I integrated a few new gals into the flock? Or would this be a hindrance with them being in shock? I was thinking it might help???
6. Is it likely that the tail wound will actually heal because it is so deep and large?
7. Does she need to be on antibiotics for infection? I am rinsing with a warm Sea Salt water mixture, then washing out with antimicrobial soap a couple times, then rinsing with purified warm water, lastly applying the Blukote and Turmeric.

I am going on day 5 after initial injury and I have all these questions roaming around and I would greatly appreciate any and all help as I am stuck on what to do next or if I am even doing this process right. Thank you ahead of time!

Last edited:
Ok, so I am new to the group so hello everyone!

This all started this past Tuesday I came home from dinner with my family to a back yard full of my dead girls! I was so devastated and still am to some degree. Now I've got 4 girls left- they managed to hide from the sneaky neighbor dog (which is now wounded... Oops). One of my girls came stumbling out of the shrubs and wasn't doing so well. I inspected her and found 3 puncture wounds on her mid back and one large wound where her back meets her tail: essentially the top of her tail has been gashed open. I immediately cleaned her up, clipped any feathers that were getting in the wounds, isolated her with warmth, and then went to researching on what to do next. I decided to go with the Blukote and Turmeric route. I have several questions since I have never had to deal with any type of wounds with my girls yet.

1. How long do I need to keep washing out the wounds and using the Blukote on her? I am cleaning out the wounds twice a day and reapplying Bluekote every time. Am I doing it too much?
2. How long do I need to keep her isolated? She seems like she wants to be with the other girls.
3. When can I start letting her free range again? She is going crazy being kept up all the time and every time we do the cleaning process she tries to fly away to be with the other girls.
4. She was my top girl. When she is integrated back into the flock will she resume her pecking order?
5. Would it help my other 3 girls that are alive and well if I integrated a few new gals into the flock? Or would this be a hindrance with them being in shock? I was thinking it might help???
6. Is it likely that the tail wound will actually heal because it is so deep and large?
7. Does she need to be on antibiotics for infection? I am rinsing with a warm Sea Salt water mixture, then washing out with antimicrobial soap a couple times, then rinsing with purified warm water, lastly applying the Blukote and Turmeric.

I am going on day 5 after initial injury and I have all these questions roaming around and I would greatly appreciate any and all help as I am stuck on what to do next or if I am even doing this process right. Thank you ahead of time!
My condolences for your pets that died,very devastating when this happens,particularly if it was from a predator/dog. Keep cleaning wounds until you are sure no infection has set in and wound is healing and drying up(wound closing up). I would apply Blue Kote daily. She has to be separated until wound has healed,otherwise you risk another hen pecking it open. Do not bring in any new girls just yet,when you do remember the quarantine rule. When she is ready to return,you will have to reintroduce her to flock,and pecking order will probably change,she may not be head girl anymore as another has filled this role. All wounds will heal provided no infection sets in,chickens heal very rapidly. As for antibiotics,you could put her on some,but you are doing an amazing job of caring for her injuries that she may not need any. Signs of infection are redness,foul smell from wounds,swelling,hen not eating/drinking,lethargic.

Last edited:
Ten Chicks,
Thank you so much for the encouraging words and all the information. I know Big Red's wounds are like human wounds so I figured I would keep them up like I would my own or my children's. I checked on her this morning and she is doing great! I carried her out to the fenced in garden and she picked around at the tomatoes and grass a bit. She even called out for her ladies. They came running and were upset that they couldn't get to her. I will head your advise and keep cleaning like there is no tomorrow because I really couldn't stand it if I lost another girl. Thank you so much!

Back
Top Bottom