Dog attack - please help

Thank you all for your well wishes! Daisy, the hen that was attacked, seems well. Hopefully I’ll be able to get her out for a little in a run. How long should I keep her separate from the others? She’s usually top of the ‘pecking order’ so I don’t know how the others will react to her absence. Thank you all for your help!
Here’s Daisy!

I have had this happen. Actually worse. Keep her in a crate and isolate her. keep her quiet and away from the other birds for a week at least. The feathers will grow back. In my case, there was a gash where you could see her insides. Everything healed over and she was put back with the other birds two months later. Your bigger problem is the neighbors dog.
Don't worry too much about keeping her separated. You need to do so for the moment to keep the other birds from pecking at the wound. Wait until it scabs over and dries before putting her back. A spritz of Blu Kote will hide the red of the wound.

Thank you all for your well wishes! Daisy, the hen that was attacked, seems well. Hopefully I’ll be able to get her out for a little in a run. How long should I keep her separate from the others? She’s usually top of the ‘pecking order’ so I don’t know how the others will react to her absence. Thank you all for your help!
Here’s Daisy!
Typically speaking, when a hen is removed, the flock reorganizes itself. If she is up and about and acting normal, it might be a good idea to pop her back with her friends and do some observations. Her back looks no more bare to me than if you had an over zealous rooster, so it might be fine to place her back with her flock mates. It'll be easier on her (and you) in the long run. Again, definitely keep an eye on the situation to ensure that they are not going to pick on her wound. Best wishes, and very pleased to hear that she appears to be making a full recovery.

She seems fine right now. Pretty comfortable, eating, walking around and being her normal self. We have her in a dog crate in a bathroom.
This just happened to one of my chickens about a month ago. (Three others killed) Aside from the excellent advice you already got (irrigate, use neosporin) also check her for fly eggs...They will lay eggs on a wound and she can end up with fly strike. I think the neosporin would prevent that but to be sure check her daily (or twice daily).

I'd keep her in a separate run so the hens can see each other but not get to each other until her skin is more healed. You don't want the other birds to peck her just in case.

Back
Top Bottom