dog attack PLEASE help!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Christine21656, Dec 11, 2010.

1. Christine21656

Christine21656 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2010
    Oakdale, MN/Somerset, WI
    Our dog got into the coop today while I was cleaning the nest boxes. He got the rooster and wouldn't let go. So, now the rooster has an area on his back about 3 inches long where the skin/feathers have been seperated from his back. There doesn't seem to be any damage to his muscles. He's a buff orpington, about 7 months old [​IMG] and we have raised him from a chick. Should we seperate him? Or would that stress him out more? Is there anything we should do for him?

2. The Chicken People

The Chicken People Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Smithville, Mo
    I would think you should separate! Hopefully someone else will chime in!

3. ChurpyChicken

ChurpyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2009
    Buxton/Leek
    :O shocked to read a dog would do this. We have 3 dogs and there all really good with our birds. We have a hen in the house at the moment and don't have to worry about the dogs near her. I would separate him. Wrap him up in a towel so he doesn't get upset. Check if there's a wound if there is wash it off and dry it. You can get wound powder in the UK from the local poultry supplier so I would recommend some of that if you have some if not just wrap him up and keep him warm ! x

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by