Dog Attack, semi-urgent

quinsullivan

In the Brooder
Aug 2, 2020
One of my herding dogs caught one of my chickens today and pulled her through the fence. Father found her first and threw her in the garbage can thinking she was dead, and surprise, she is not. Missing a lot of feathers, wound on her back and behind her head but she is semi-alert and able to stand on her own. I brought her inside to keep an eye on her but she's breathing a little funny? There's a click on one end of of inhale/exhale (which is very heavy right now, attack was only twenty or so minutes ago. This is our first major injury for a new flock and I'm not sure what to do other than disinfect/isolate/blu-cote for the night until she's walking and clucking again.

One of my herding dogs caught one of my chickens today and pulled her through the fence. Father found her first and threw her in the garbage can thinking she was dead, and surprise, she is not. Missing a lot of feathers, wound on her back and behind her head but she is semi-alert and able to stand on her own. I brought her inside to keep an eye on her but she's breathing a little funny? There's a click on one end of of inhale/exhale (which is very heavy right now, attack was only twenty or so minutes ago. This is our first major injury for a new flock and I'm not sure what to do other than disinfect/isolate/blu-cote for the night until she's walking and clucking again.
Please post pictures of her injuries after you've cleaned her up.
Keep her in a warm, quiet dim place on an old towel in a crate with some water and feed that's been wet down to make a mash.
Examine her entire body for punctures. The clicking while breathing may indicate a punctured air sac.
Use providone, hibiclens or poultry wound spray to clean and disinfect her wounds. I would avoid the blukote.
She is likely in shock and needs to recover from that. Keeping her hydrated is important.

image0.jpg

image1.jpg

The head one is still bleeding a little and i disinfected with a bit of iodine? We're understandably frazzled right now

@DobieLover gave good advice. Treat for shock with electrolytes that contain sugar to elevate her glucose and to hydrate her. Wounds need to be kept moist with an antibiotic ointment to grow new tissue. If she sustained puncture wounds, she will need an oral antibiotic. She may have injured her lungs when yanked through the fence as they're just under her back between her shoulders.

She has a good chance of recovering as long as she doesn't succumb to infection or internal injuries.

So a little bit of worse news: she hasn't stopped breathing heavily and we found another wound on her chest. Her breathing sounded like Honking for a minute so we cleaned up and put a wet pad on the wound and it stopped. Unsure how to move forward

Back
Top Bottom