DOG ATTACK TO MY SILVER LACED WYONDOTTE WHAT DO I DO

lacasapollo2013

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 23, 2013
My rooster got attacked the other day by a dog that got into my pen when i as in there thank god i was in there so i could catch her before she did in real harm but i was to late an now my rooster is limping and wont put any weight on it...idk what to do i know i should let nature take it course but idk what to do...

almost the same thing happen to us.we brought a new rooster home and he got out and after a long chase the dogs dug out of the fence and got him.he got his tail feathers riped and the feathers riped out of his butt.we got him before there was any real harm except for a wound in his wing.we put him in the coop with the other chickens and we took the rooster out.he would hide behind the mail boxes that the hen lays their eggs in.after a day he was fine.

i would suggest to keep him seperate from the other chickens and see if his leg is broken or it just hurts.dont worry too much.my neighbor said he saw chickens torn up from dogs and do alright a few days or so later.

My leghorn hen always escapes the run. We just brought home a new dog from a Big dog rescue. Well he got her, & once he had her in his jaws he didn't know what to do. She made a bunch of noise and flapped her wings & wiggled her way out - confused him a lot. She limped on her foot too. I waited to see if things got better but in about 3 days she wouldn't even stand up. Lost her appetite and everything. I separated her from the flock & made a chicken hammock. There are threads here on hammocks. I gave her vitamin & electrolytes. Soft foods. She wouldn't eat her chicken food so I gave her things like ramen with egg & bananas. Pretty much anything that got her eating. I wrapped her leg & foot with vet wrap. I wrapped the toes individually. Took a sponge and cut out a triangle, then taped it to her foot. I'd take her out of the kennel 2x a day put her on my lap & scratch her neck, back, & under her wings. She was real bad off. I was looking up humane ways to put her down. But she started turning around. Then I took her out of the kennel for "physical therapy sessions". Did this more and more as long as she tolerated. Once she stopped trying to hop around, back in the hammock for rest.

Ps my big bad dog is now very tame around chickens now. Along with my other one who helps me corral them up & guards them, they have been amazing to my chickens despite the one incident.

Back
Top Bottom