Dog attack, what to do next.

Kassaundra

Sonic screwdrivers are cool!
12 Years
Sep 1, 2010
Henryetta
My injured chicken is still alive, eating and drinking this morning. She has a large flesh wound and laceration which has been cleaned w/ betadine and sutured closed should I start her on antibiotics profalacticly? if so what one would be best (and available to me) and what kind of administration (injection, oral)? Thanks for the help.

Quote:
PenG Procaine injectable is the antibiotic that is best for flesh/skin type wounds.

Thanks can I get that at the feed store? or do I need to get it from the vet?

I was able to get the antibiotics, but sadly to late for her. Really I don't think they would have done any good from the begining. The injuries that I thought were just defeathering and abrasions on the back end were much more siginificant. I had to do a mercy killing my first ever and it was horrible, the stuff they say on the meat thread is B/S about how easy it is physically, they all agree not so easy emotionally. I hope never to have to do that again!!!!! I was concidering raising meaties ....................... I will be a vegetarian first!!!!!!!

So sad. So sorry.

Many times it's amazing what they can survive with TLC and antibiotics. So sorry not the case here. I hope that if the dog was someone elses, you can pursue penalty, on behalf of your hen and all birds who suffer as a result of dog attacks (lots of threads here on BYC re: how to do that). As grizzly as it is, take pics of your poor dear hen as evidence.
JJ

Quote:
No it was my dog. But not really the dog's fault, I've worked w/ him (a little wiener dog) and he never tries to breach the fence to the chickens and doesn't bother them at all when in thier run, but she kept getting into his area (the only one the 22 others are content to stay in their area) I knew what would happen if Tucker found her first, and the last time he did. Don't get me wrong I am not happy w/ what he did, but it really was the chickens fault, she had plenty of space and everything a chicken could want in her area.
barnie.gif
he.gif

I so sorry you has to go through that. You put your chickens suffering before your own feelings and that makes you a super chicken mommy. She was in pain and now she is in a better place.

I remember my first mercy "duty". After I sent her to be with the lord I sat on my butt by that stump and sobbed for an hour and kept telling her how sorry I was . She was egg bound and no matter what I tried I couldn't free that egg. In the morning she was still straining to get it out of her body but couldn't even after the long warm soaks at night. The egg was all tangled up inside.

I feel for you sweetie. I really do. Have a good cry, a cup of tea or w-h---k-e-y (my family is Italian and recommend it for everything from athletes foot to cramps to insomnia) and order pizza tonight for dinner.

Before locking everyone up tonight grab one of your girls, look into her eyes and give her a big squeeze.

Back
Top Bottom