Dog attack!

R3M1X

Chirping
May 14, 2019
Norlina, NC
My Guinea fowl was attacked by a dog!:hit she survived and is alert and walks around with a really bad limp. Her leg sticks out but she still moves it a little. She isnt complaining of pain but I think her pain tolerance is either really high or she may be in shock? It's been a day already. She felt fine earlier today but just now I was looking at her then picked her up to pur her back in isolation (I had her in soft grass to examine her better since it was nighttime when I found her). Her body felt as though it was a huge squishy bubble :( what should I do? I have already decided that if she survives she will be put in a protective pen with my hens and will not free range with the other guineas because the dog ripped out her back and wing feathers and left some lacerations on her saddle area and wings :hit. I feel bad for this poor baby... I want to help as best I can, but we dont have money to go to a vet. :hitLike I said she is acting like nothing happened to her but she is obviously injured. Please help.

My Guinea fowl was attacked by a dog!:hit she survived and is alert and walks around with a really bad limp. Her leg sticks out but she still moves it a little. She isnt complaining of pain but I think her pain tolerance is either really high or she may be in shock? It's been a day already. She felt fine earlier today but just now I was looking at her then picked her up to pur her back in isolation (I had her in soft grass to examine her better since it was nighttime when I found her). Her body felt as though it was a huge squishy bubble :( what should I do? I have already decided that if she survives she will be put in a protective pen with my hens and will not free range with the other guineas because the dog ripped out her back and wing feathers and left some lacerations on her saddle area and wings :hit. I feel bad for this poor baby... I want to help as best I can, but we dont have money to go to a vet. :hitLike I said she is acting like nothing happened to her but she is obviously injured. Please help.
That's so sad. :hugsCan you post pictures? My first thought is to clean the wound and put an antibiotic lotion on it, like neosporin. If you have Betadine that's a good cleaner, otherwise a saline solution. You can get directions on making that with a quick internet search. If you can, get some Blue Kote to spray on the wounds so they wont be red. Chickens will pick at anything red.

That's so sad. :hugsCan you post pictures? My first thought is to clean the wound and put an antibiotic lotion on it, like neosporin. If you have Betadine that's a good cleaner, otherwise a saline solution. You can get directions on making that with a quick internet search. If you can, get some Blue Kote to spray on the wounds so they wont be red. Chickens will pick at anything red.

When I first found her I sprayed a wound spray on her right away. My blue lotion stuff keeps going missing when I need it... I am still looking for it because it worked very well when one of my 5week old keets was almost scalped.

Excuse the angle she doesnt like being observed by people. I put her in a travel carrier to limit her mobility in trying to escape even though this morning she was trying to pry the door open with her beak...
I could not get a photo of her wing and I doent want to add anymore stress to her by touching her more than I have to.
20190922_202618.jpg
20190922_202825.jpg

Her other wing and leg are the badly injured ones but I couldn't get a good photo of that side.

Keep her isolated and quiet. If you have neosporin, slather that on. Do keep the wound clean. And definitely watch for fly strike. That can happen overnight. I hope she makes it!!!:hugs

X2 :hugs Definitely keep her area clean and prevent flies as best you can. Fly strike will make it go from bad to much worse!

Do you feel anything is broken, or just the lacerations?

X2 :hugs Definitely keep her area clean and prevent flies as best you can. Fly strike will make it go from bad to much worse!

Do you feel anything is broken, or just the lacerations?
When I picked her up to put her in the crate a couple hours ago she felt like a squishy balloon. Her leg is spread out to the side a little instead of being straight down like normal but she still uses it. I cannot confirm whether it is broken or just stiff and sore. I only noticed it after examining her walk this morning. Since she was already previously injured (most likely due to a landing injury of some sort) causing her to limp, if I were to compare her previous limp to this limp she hasnt slowed down hardly at all. I am relieved to say that she eats and drinks well, though.

Back
Top Bottom