Dog attack

kbev

Chirping
6 Years
Jan 17, 2014
One of my hens was attacked by my pup yesterday. My wife quickly intervened but he got a good chunk of feathers from her rear side. We separated her from the other girls keeping her inside in a dog crate. We cleaned her wound, put poultry aid on it (TSC recommended). She is eating normal-ish and drinking (added hydrohen to her water). Shes acting normal-ish considering everything. We have not started her on antibiotics yet, not sure if we should since she's not really showing any signs of infection yet. One thing we noticed is she is packing off her feather around the area of the wound, is this normal?

I just hope we're doing right by her. Open to any suggestions.

Picture attached of her injury.
20200918_151712.jpg

dog bites can introduce all sorts of nasties into wounds. I would give antibiotics asap.
Plus some baby aspirin for the pain.

is that white gunk some cream you put on?

some wounds heal better wet and some are better scabbing over and kept dry. You say you cleaned it first?

I would be inclined to clean it again with iodine or an antiseptic solution and trim any feathers so it heals clean of feathery bits sticking into it. And leave it open to dry. Keep her separated. If/when you put her back, then blukote it so the chickens are deterred from pecking it.

Antibiotics though, asap.

Keep her warm and quiet and calm. Feed a multivit and whatever food she will take. She will be in shock at first.

dog bites can introduce all sorts of nasties into wounds. I would give antibiotics asap.
Plus some baby aspirin for the pain.

is that white gunk some cream you put on?

some wounds heal better wet and some are better scabbing over and kept dry. You say you cleaned it first?

I would be inclined to clean it again with iodine or an antiseptic solution and trim any feathers so it heals clean of feathery bits sticking into it. And leave it open to dry. Keep her separated. If/when you put her back, then blukote it so the chickens are deterred from pecking it.

Antibiotics though, asap.

Keep her warm and quiet and calm. Feed a multivit and whatever food she will take. She will be in shock at first.
Thank you! The white gunk is the antiseptic spray. Is the fish mox good enough of an antibiotic? Having trouble finding a vet that cares for chickens to get a prescription antibiotic. She's been eating good, her regular food, some meal worm treats and oatmeal (her favorite).

Also they do carry durvet injectable penicillin at the TSC by me. I could get that instead of fish mox. If I do that what is the dosage?

Last edited:
Amoxicillin is a good broad spectrum antibiotic. Tagging some folks for further advice. I usually try to avoid using antibiotics unless it becomes necessary. This may be an instance where it's necessary at the beginning of treatment versus waiting to see how she does with basic external wound care. I certainly don't want to discredit others advice because we all want the best outcome for your girl. We all do things differently, and that's OK, as long as you're getting accurate advice that will help improve your hens health and well-being. Definitely clip those feathers back from around the wounded area
@Wyorp Rock @azygous @Eggcessive

Last edited:
Amoxicillin is a good broad spectrum antibiotic. Tagging some folks for further advice. I usually try to avoid using antibiotics unless it becomes necessary. This may be an instance where it's necessary at the beginning of treatment versus waiting to see how she does with basic external wound care. I certainly don't want to discredit others advice because we all want the best outcome for your girl. We all do things differently, and that's OK, as long as you're getting accurate advice that will help improve your hens health and well-being. Definitely clip those feathers back from around the wounded area
@Wyorp Rock @azygous @Eggcessive

I agree with you generally, but in this instance I am echoing the advice given by the hospital to my husband when he got bitten by a dog. Any animal bite (foxes especially) is laden with bacteria, and the problem with chickens is that you often don't know how serious or deep the wound is at first because they mask it. Then, without antibiotics, they go downhill fast into sepsis a week after the injury as the infection has had time to take hold, and they've hidden how sick they are. So getting antibiotics into them early on will save their lives.

If it was an injury from a bit of broken fence, or a fall, or from pecking then I wouldn't necessarily advise antibiotics unless the wound got visibly infected. Bites are different ime.

Those you've tagged will hopefully be along soon and can advise on which brand, dosage etc. (or may disagree with me!)

Sorry about your hen.

It might be good to start from square one, and trim all the feathers around the wound (3cm circumferential zone), then try to flush any debris out of the wound, using some saline, in case you haven't already. Once you have a clean wound bed, you can apply an antibacterial ointment or cream, like Neosporin, Silver sulfadiazine cream, or Preparation H which increases the respiratory content in the epithelium thus promoting fibroblasts growth.

I prefer ointments over sprays as they tend to keep the wound moist longer and prevent drying out which is vital to keeping the wound healthy. I would not continually use an antiseptic on the wound, as long-term, it can have damaging effects to the healthy flora on the wound (Firbrolasts, WBC's, Macrophages), especially near the debridement stage.

Keep her in a stressful free, warm area, away from flies. Since it is a bite wound, there is a decent chance the wound may get infected, so you may consider using a broad-spectrum antibiotic. I would avoid Peniccilin since so many bacteria have become resistant to it. That said, I would lean more towards Enrofloxacin, or Cephalexin, which you can buy here.

https://allbirdproducts.com/products/baytril-10
https://fishmoxfishflex.com/products/fish-flex-cephalexin-keflex-250-mg-capsules-100-count#:~:text=Fish Flex Cephalexin 250 mg,associated with ornamental fish diseases.

Back
Top Bottom