Dog attack

Terrific advice from a lot of caring folks. I also highly recommend an antibiotic immediately for a dog bite. Infection can kill in as little as 24 hours from bacteria injected into tissue in this manner. (Experience talking.) Fish mox is an excellent antibiotic. I prefer it over penicillin unless penicillin is all you can get.

Thanks for all the info. I am going to try and get antibiotics asap.

An update: she actually laid an egg this morning. Seems as big and solid as one's in the past. I am hoping this is a good sign?

That egg will have been in the production line for a few days prior to the attack, but good that it came out shelled and unbroken. Good sign her reproductive tract hopefully isn't damaged though.

Thank you so much for all of the responses.. my wife and I are very grateful.

API EI - erythromycin for fish is what I found in my area. Would this work for now until we can get Fish Mox?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200919-100618_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20200919-100618_Samsung Internet.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 2
Quick update, started the erythromycin yesterday dissolved it in her water. She seems to be doing well. Laid another egg today, same size and hardness consistency. Eating normally, drinking normally. No obvious signs of infection.

We are going to keep her separate for at least a few more days if not a week. Should I be concerned about the cold weather when she goes back out? The coop is not heated nor fo I plan on adding heat to it

That's good news. Keep an eye on her a while yet. How cold is it where you are? Chickens are pretty hardy and its not the depths of winter yet is it?

That's good news. Keep an eye on her a while yet. How cold is it where you are? Chickens are pretty hardy and its not the depths of winter yet is it?
It's just been a little cold spell dropping to high 30's normally it doesn't get like this till November. Average is probably high 40's low 50's

I'm metric so clueless about °F.

OK, so I just converted it to 2020 (😄) and that's about 3 to 4°C. I assume you mean that is the lowest night time temp?

I would say that if she just has a bald bit, and is otherwise feathered and has a draught free roost in the coop at night, then that is fine for her. BUT, I wouldn't put her back with the flock yet, not until she is healing really nicely, she seems well in herself and you are sure she hasn't got an infection, or that her wounds could open up again. I would want the risk of pecking causing serious damage to be very minimal before exposing her to other chickens.

Perhaps someone else can advise better than me.

Back
Top Bottom