Dog Attack

Uhh.. so apparently her vent was blocked by rock solid feathers. i found eggshell fragments and cucumber peel around her vent, and it was completely blocked and pretty messed up. I used water to loosen her feathers and eventually I had pulled away loose feathers and weirdly squishy eggshell and her vent seemed red. Honestly, it may have been normal, but I don’t know because I don’t generally look around there. I'll reply tomorrow.
Since she's not mobile, you'll have to clean vent and feathers at least once a day.

If there was a soft shelled egg, then I would get some extra calcium into her. If you have TUMS, you can give her 1 tablet a day. Calcium Citrate with D3 (Caltrate) is better, but do what you can.

Does she have a bad odor like infection, a discharge from the vent?

Since she's not mobile, you'll have to clean vent and feathers at least once a day.

If there was a soft shelled egg, then I would get some extra calcium into her. If you have TUMS, you can give her 1 tablet a day. Calcium Citrate with D3 (Caltrate) is better, but do what you can.

Does she have a bad odor like infection, a discharge from the vent?
I put her butt over the sink and rinse her off and dry her at least twice a day, because she is getting poop all over her butt now. Today she started pooping actual solids (and she did it in the sink😑)I don't know if it was actually soft-shelled or was just soaked in poop and water.

She stopped smelling like pee yesterday, now she just smells like.. chicken. The only time she stinks bad is when she poops.

Thank you, thank you all. Her hip bone is broken and she has internal injuries. Dad says there is no recovery.

He wants to take her into the backyard and put her down, because the ride to the vet would be too stressful.
:hugs I'm very sorry to hear about your hen. You have done well taking care of her.
So sad, but it sounds like Dad is right and it's time to let her go.

We just had to do this with a hen that had EYP. It is so sad, but if you just feel the sadness whenever it comes up, it honors the bird that you loved, and it helps you move on with more grace.

She was so lucky to have such a devoted owner ♥️

Back
Top Bottom