Dog Attack

The WinterWolf

Crowing
Apr 12, 2021
Northern CA
Today at around 5:00 AM two German shepherds came into our yard and were clawing and chasing and trying to kill my chickens. right now it's about 7:00 PM. anyways, one of my chickens (Ash) lost all of her tail feathers and has a bloody vent, and something sticking out beneath the skin. i'm worried it's an internal injury. my dad says it's just some torn flap of skin that's supposed to be covering the vent. i don't know. the other one (Omelette)has a scratch on her back, and can't seem to walk. she also might have a broken wing. she only has one tail feather. the one with the thing sticking out of her walks around normally, and is running around outside. the one with the scratch on her back is inside the house in a box with food and water. a few hours ago, i only fed her peanut butter and jelly, and i don't know if she got enough to eat. she is able to kind of turn herself around in the box, and drinks when i persuade her. she only eats when i hold a spoonful of jelly up to her beak, and she kind of licks it like a dog. she doesn't even make an effort to peck when i hold her favorite treat, a strawberry, up to her. i don't know what to do to help her. any ideas are welcome for either of them.

also, the dogs have been taken care of and the owner is trying to find them a new home. the first photo is of the first chicken's vent. if you want, you can call them by their names. Ash and Omelette.

Attachments

• 20220524_194040.jpg
    20220524_194040.jpg
    448.4 KB · Views: 28
  • 20220524_194327.jpg
    20220524_194327.jpg
    347.4 KB · Views: 7
  • 20220524_194305.jpg
    20220524_194305.jpg
    594.5 KB · Views: 9
So sorry!! I am no expert but you need to treat her for shock give her some gatorade or water with a tsp of sugar in it. Flush out the wound with saline water if you don't have any boil a quart of water with a tsp of salt. Let it cool and rinse out the wounds. Don't let the wounds dry out use Neosporin without pain relief. Or whatever you have tonight. Hopefully the big guns will post soon. Just keep them in a crate warm and hydrated in a quiet spot. Scrambled eggs yogurt or wet feed with a little sugar may tempt them to eat.

I'm sorry to hear about your hens.

The one with the torn vent, I would keep it cleaned. If you have saline as suggested by @Byrd gal that would be good to use. Apply triple antibiotic ointment to the wounds.
You may want to keep your saline or some diluted Chlorhexidine in a spray bottle so you can spray the vent, she's very likely going to get the wound soiled when she poops.

The one that is not walking, hopefully she hasn't suffered any internal injuries and is just in shock.

Give them both a little time to see if they recover. Electrolytes or gatorade can be good to give for the first day. Do offer some plain fresh water too.
I would suggest that you offer some scrambled egg or wet feed for them to eat. Peanut butter and jelly sounds like a tasty treat, but if they will eat their nutritionally balanced feed along with extra protein of egg that would be even better.

Keep us posted on how they are doing.

Since she's not mobile, you'll have to clean vent and feathers at least once a day.

If there was a soft shelled egg, then I would get some extra calcium into her. If you have TUMS, you can give her 1 tablet a day. Calcium Citrate with D3 (Caltrate) is better, but do what you can.

Does she have a bad odor like infection, a discharge from the vent?
I put her butt over the sink and rinse her off and dry her at least twice a day, because she is getting poop all over her butt now. Today she started pooping actual solids (and she did it in the sink😑)I don't know if it was actually soft-shelled or was just soaked in poop and water.

She stopped smelling like pee yesterday, now she just smells like.. chicken. The only time she stinks bad is when she poops.

Back
Top Bottom