Dog attack

Eggsandbeyond

Songster
Apr 13, 2023
A dog went after my young silkie.
I cleaned it out with peroxide because it's all I had. I ordered this, he's in a clean crate in the house in a quiet room with food and water. Is there anything else I can do? How often do I clean with the spray when it gets here?

Wound and spray

Attachments

• 20240522_192522.jpg
    20240522_192522.jpg
    344.8 KB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot_20240522_210549_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20240522_210549_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    224.6 KB · Views: 5
Also that dog will probably come back. You might want to make things more secure or try to send the dog to the pound.
The wound is on their thigh area. The dog was a family members, they have chickens and have never had an issue here. I think got excited and worked up, they're not coming back here after that. My chickens mean a lot to me never risking it again. My yards fully fenced in so neighborhood dogs luckily aren't an issue. I will be more cautious next time. My own fault it can happen fast unfortunately.

I would keep him separated until the wound closes. Make sure the silkie keeps seeing her flock every now and then so the silkie can keep it's spot in the pecking order for a safe return when he fully heals.

I’m sorry about your rooster. I bet he is a handsome fellow. Trim the feathers away from the wound as best as you can. Until your Vetericyn gets here you can rinse his wound with sterile saline solution once or twice a day and then pack with a triple antibiotic ointment such as neosporin. Make sure the neosporin has no pain relief in it. Keep the wound moist with ointment so it doesn’t dry out. It’s probably best to keep him inside away from flies until it can heal a bit. Treat him for shock very quickly after addressing the wound. Use 1 cup water with a teaspoon of sugar and a pinch of salt and baking soda. Gently dip his beak in to get him to drink some. You can also use Gatorade or some nutridrench mixed with water if you have any.

Back
Top Bottom