Dog Attack

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Summerlin, Oct 19, 2009.

1. Summerlin

Summerlin Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2009
    I just got started with chickens this year, and today I lost my gorgeous 6 month old Cochin rooster. I raised him from the time he was 2 days old, he rode around in my shirt while he was still little enough. He was my very first chicken, my baby.
    [​IMG]
    Along with him, I lost my 5 month old Silky darling whom I've had since she was 3 days old.
    [​IMG]
    I was in the house with my daughter who is home sick, I'm fighting the same virus, and I honestly didn't hear a thing. We took pictures, the paw prints are more than clear, you can see where each struggle happened. My husband went to talk to the owner of the dogs, but nobody was home.
    My husband asked me, and I didn't know how to answer him...in case the impending discussion between him and the dog(s) owner goes smoothly and in a civil manner, how do we figure the monetary value of the chickens that their dogs killed? I'm hoping when he talks to them that they won't be jerks about it. Buying new chickens won't mend my heart, but Burt (my rooster) and Sally (my 6 month old hen) were a bonded couple and she's devastated, been crying for him since this morning. They've never been apart, she's never been alone, so I don't want to leave her without a companion.

2. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Oh my gosh, thats just awful!!! [​IMG] Like you say, it won't bring them back. But they should be responsible for their dog killing them, thats for sure!! I'm certain someone on the forum will give you an amount that you should ask them for. They NEED to make sure that their dogs are well contained, so that this never happens again. [​IMG] [​IMG] Please keep us posted.

3. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    I would say that the value is a bit contingent on their reaction. The more negative they are, the more valuable the birds should be. If they were mixed breeds, I would charge a minimum of $25 per bird. If they were well bred, check with breeders to see what the cost of shipping an adult bird of similar quality is. Even if you don't intend to have birds shipped, it will let you know what the actual replacement value is.

4. Summerlin

Summerlin Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2009
    Sorry I'm so late in updating..
    My husband tried repeatedly to speak to the owners, but they were never there. Sunday evening, he pulled into our driveway to find both of the German Shepards in our yard, in the vicinity of the chicken/rabbit. He fired a warning shot and then followed the dogs home to find that the owners were there.
    He said the gentleman was very apologetic and immediately said for me to let him know what the value of the chickens was so that he can replace them for me. He also said he would be keeping the dogs locked up and tied up when they're outside, which they were by the time I pulled in Sunday evening and again when I got home yesterday. I think he was very nice about the whole thing, and I think he has basic good intentions, but the cynic in me doubts that the dogs will be kept restrained for long..whether it be a lapse in judgment or an accident, I can't help thinking they'll be loose again.
    In the meantime, I'm back to trying to figure out the value of my babies I lost. [​IMG]
    Thanks for the words and advice.

5. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    I would charge a minimum of $25 per bird and more if they were of high quality. Don't be shy about asking for money. You have at least that much invested in them, and you weren't the one that caused the problem. I hope that the guy really does contain the dogs. If they get loose again, they will be back.

6. mikeksfarmer

mikeksfarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2008
    Bonner springs KS
    My friend I am sorry for you loss. Many of us have suffered from the same. I recomend working with the dog owner to ensure proper dog control. I also encourage you to tighten up your security. Its never fair when a dog comes on your property to kill your pets/livestock. Its always better to prevent in advance of loss. Stop the dog, and your heart is not hurt! Prevention measures are valuable in court to prove you have done your part. I suggest adding more fencing if you can. None of this takes care of your loss but may prevent a replay.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by