dog attack

jeneme

Hatching
12 Years
Apr 14, 2007
My Barred Rock Bertha was attacked by a dog today. We bandaged her and made her as comfortable as possible, but her wound is massive, and burning hot. I want to give her some children's motrin, but am unsure if this is ok, or how much to give. Please help. Even if she doesn't survive, I want to help her pain.

If she is drinking put Asprin in her water its the only thing i know to do but put NeoSporin on her wound helps it heal faster

First of all, you cannot give a bird Tylenol or Motrin. Baby aspirin dissolved in the water is fine.
Second, did you clean out the wound? You can flush it with plain water or Hydrogen Peroxide.
Is she separated from the rest of the birds? She should be especially if she's towards the bottom of the pecking order. The higher up's will attack her and make the wound worse.
Put the Neosopirin on the wound and put a gauze pad over it. Make sure that she's warm and quiet so that she can recover.
Was it your dog or someone else's dog? If it was someone else's and you know who's you can tell them to keep their dog home and tell them the Fido attacked your bird. If it wasn't, call Animal control and get it picked up.
I hope Bertha will be okay.

Last edited:
Well. I am a little disturbed with the lack of response here. Just to update and ask for any more advise.......
Bertha is not eating/drinking on her own today. I am giving her drinks of water with a syringe occassionally. She really seems to enjoy the drinks, however, she falls asleep almost as soon as she swallows the water. I cannot get her to eat anything. Even her favortie snack treats. I tried some sugar water, since that saved her life when she was a chick. She is still pooping, and did eat yesterday. Her wound is so hot that you can feel the heat an inch over her body. I have cleaned her wound with peroxide, and bandaged with gauze. I am a little scared of neosporin, since if there are germs I don't want them trapped inside. Also, the cleansing of the wound seemed very tramatic for her. My main concern is that she appears to be in shock. I am unsure if I am doing the right thing by giving her water and keeping her alive. Any advise would really be appreciated.

I think the reason that noone is responding is because noone knows what to do. I sure don't! I hope your hen either passes quickly, or starts to improve quickly, and that you can get more professional help soon.

-MTchick

Thanks. I know I don't know what to do either. If my kids weren't here yesterday I probably would have ended it for her. But they wanted to give her a chance, and she is still alive. So...... who knows. If it makes anyone feel better, I caught the dog, called his owner to come and get it. And once he got here warned him that dogs that taste chicken once come back for more, and if I found his dog on my land again, it would not be pretty. It is not the dog's fault. It is his owner's fault for not keeping him contained. Anyways, it has been a traumatic few days for me and my children as well as poor Bertha. Please let me know if anyone has any suggestions. She is my favorite chicken, and the flock will not be the same without her.

I AM NOT SURE ABT THIS....... so ask others advice before u try it please!!!!

i know almost all other animals can have benedryl and it helps with pain and restlessness...i have given it to a cat a dog ect.... never a bird though??

just a thought but please get others advice before u try it
smile.png
good luck

have u tried pedialyte yet?

Hi jeneme,
How is your chicken? I am terribly sorry that she got hurt.
Have you tried giving her vitamins and electrolytes in her water? Also, mixing up a "mash" of food and water may encourage her to eat. Other than keeping her warm, watered, fed, and in a quiet area, I can't think of anything else you can do. You may want to do a google search or use the search option here on backyardchickens and type in "chicken in shock" to see what else you may be able to do.

Best wishes!

Have you tried taking her to the vet? I know my vet here actually treats chickens. That may sound like going overboard, but if she is your favorite, maybe it's worth it?

Back
Top Bottom