Dog attack

alejan

Hatching
6 Years
Feb 13, 2013
Yesterday a neighbor's dog got into our chicken trailer. 3 hens. One was killed, one appears to have a broken wing but otherwise ok. The third bird got it pretty bad. Lacerations on the face and neck what looks like a cracked beak. It's been 24 hours and she is wheezing heavily, eyes often closed or rolling to the back of the head. It looks like she can't moved her beak/jaw at all. I can't imagine her eating food anytime in the near future and she is not drinking water either. Also, lots of diarrhea this morning. She is still moving around a bit - all of her injuries are above the neck. Is there anything we can do to help this hen or should we take her out of her misery? We can't afford a vet.

There are probably people with many ways to help, but I would probably just help her go gently into that good night. That is a personal opinion. I think a lot of times it just isn't cost effective to try to fix really serious injuries. A lot of times the malformations from injuries will make that chickens life way harder than a chicken's life should be. I like my chickens, but they are more useful than they are pets. I enjoy their company, but I am also planning on eating them or their eggs, or both depending on the situation. I don't keep any birds that are too old to lay and all that. They have a purpose. I will make them happy until that purpose is served, and then the dinner plate comes calling.
Also with dog bites there is a huge risk of infection so start some antibiotics if you plan on trying to nurse the bird through this ordeal. It also sounds like this bird will need to be hand fed or tube fed depending on the situation...and your level of ability, I have heard it can be disastrous if you get the tube placement wrong. Again, all this is up to you. So you might want to look at either euthanasia or a lot of one on one medical care. It can go either way in my opinion, but I am not looking at said chicken. But antibiotics are a must.

If she is not eating or drinking she will succumb to her injuries.
She in all probability, will not survive.
You will have to end her misery or wait and see.
Its your call, however her odds are not good.

Next, you will have some hard choices regarding the Dog.
As it is a chicken killer.
Compensation and the elimination of the threat are essential.
Documentation is essential in dealing with this unfortunate situation.

So sorry about your girls, I've been there myself. Totally agree with above post. If she can't or isn't able to eat or drink, there doesn't sound like much hope & she may be suffering, it may be kinder to put her down.

If you haven't done so yet, IMMEDIATELY file a report with your local law enforcement office AND Animal Control, that way it's on record what this dog has done. Also, take pictures, LOTS of them to document everything the dog destroyed or harmed. If you know who owns the dog that attacked your girls, contact them& inform & show them of what their dog has done.

Thanks for the responses. We decided to kill the chicken soon after I posted. The dog actually belonged to a construction guy working on the house next door. He and the neighbor were sympathetic when it happened but we weren't sure what to ask of them at the time. As frustrating as it is, we're not asking the dog to be euthanized. We feel the onus is really on the owner who brought the dog to a work site and let it run loose. I think it's safe to say that he will not be bringing the dog around again.

We are thinking about asking for replacement cost of the flock. We may end up killing the other chicken depending on how she recovers. She is alone now, and we are thinking it would be better to start completely anew...? We're worried about the gimpy chicken being picked on should we introduce new hens.

Part of the problem is that the neighbor removed the fence between our yards when he began construction. The dog was easily able to come into the yard and managed to squeeze underneath our A-frame trailer (made of bamboo and chicken wire - fairly heavy but obviously not heavy enough to prevent this dog from getting in). We'd really like the neighbor to replace the fence but he seems reluctant (it'll be expensive). We're renting the property and have an absent landlord who is unlikely to help.

Our relationship with the neighbor has been good up until now so hopefully he will do the right thing.

Remember to report the incident,
Not to cause any problem with the neighbor, rather to legitimize any claim you make.
In other words have a police report. pictures and a estimate of damages.
This will help lubricate any negotiations.
While all party's involved memories are fresh.
Procrastination will not be any benefit to you in your attempt to recover you losses.

just my .002

Back
Top Bottom