dog attack!

chickymomma1

Hatching
6 Years
Nov 25, 2013
just recently my dog has been attacking my chickens it started out with her just rounding them up and chasing them back into their coop. 3 days ago I went outside to find one of my girls Mary all huddled up in the corner of the yard with some feathers on the back of your neck pulled. I took her inside and she warmed up and was fine. the next day I went outside and found one of my chickens dead and torn apart in the middle of the yard. I looked for Mary and she was huddled up in the side yard with a big gash taken out of the back of her neck, its really bad I didn't know if she would make it. We are on day two and she's doing okay she's up and walking around but I've never had chickens before and don't know how to help her please help me help Mary.

Chickens have a remarkable abiliity to heal themselves. If you haven't already, wash the wound out in clean warm water. Apply some antibiotic ointment (without "caine" ingredients or painkillers), too. If the wound begins to seem infected (hotter than usual, smells, odd color, etc), get some antibiotics like Penicillin.

Your chicken will probably be fine, in my opinion. Chickens have recovered from even worse injuries than yours has.

My chickens were recently attacked by our neighbors dog. He killed 3 of them, one has a bite on her back and he broke her leg. She is doing very well for all she went through. I am devasted that this happened but I am amazed at how well my hen is doing in the healing process.

Back
Top Bottom