Dog Attack

I didn't trim any skin off my cochin. The puncture wounds healed up & the hard spots fell off by themselves. So, I'm not sure. Does BluKote keep the flies away? Glad that Ava is doing well too.

As for Phoebe, Do you know any local chicken farmers? I'm sure someone would have the compassion to care for her while you are away. I would make sure I have her in a crate though.

Hey! You could bring her down to Michigan to stay with me! It's only a two day drive...

BluKote does not repel flies. It's just a super bacteria, fungus, infection and wound treatment. It does form a protective barrier, but I'm not sure about the flies.

As for Ava, how long should I keep her (and her clutch mate) isolated? I'm a bit nervous about putting her back with the flock. But it could be months before everything heals. And they both have stopped laying eggs...

Guess what? Phoebe is walking!

I was lucky enough to find someone to look after Phoebe while I was away. When I got home, she was starting to stand. We've been back a week now and she's actually walking around - check it out!

0.jpg

She is a little wobbly, but she's stronger every day. She is living with her pals in the coop again. Since she can't roost, I put her in a wire dog cage at night. This keeps her safe but with the flock. I feed her separately from the others in the morning and in the afternoons she's been able to scratch around the garden with them!

She's been looking at the roost but is definitely not ready to get up there. I hope that eventually her leg will be strong enough to allow her to roost with her sisters and have a good nights sleep!

I am just thrilled with her progress. Everyone thought I was crazy for not ending her life, but I knew she had it in her. I can barely believe the difference. I'm so proud of my little bird!

Chickens are much more resilient than we give them credit for. I found out when my dog attach happened. Lindsay44, I am SO HAPPY for you and Phoebe. She is lucky to have you for a mom
smile.png

Thanks so much @Outpost JWB and @sbhkma . I really had my doubts about her survival at the beginning, but she proved everyone wrong. I have high hopes that in another few weeks she'll be as good as new!

Just had to share this update.

Phoebe is now able to get up onto the lower roost at night and is more than holding her own with the other gals. And the best part? Yesterday she laid her first egg! She is one tough chicken!

I'm so happy to hear about Phoebe!!! My husband told me I was bonkers when I brought Ava (now known as 'Sicky Chickey') into the garage with heat lamps, blankets and towels. All that for a $2.79 chick. I somehow feel that I'm in good company at this forum, Phoebe being a perfect example.

As for Sicky Chickey, she's out in the coop now! She hangs out with the 'other' rooster, Cheech. They have their own food and water, so they're happy together. All of her feathers grew back in, but she's still 25% bluish purple from the Blu Cote. She and one other Aruacana lay pink eggs every day!

Thats great news about Pheobe!

I have a hen that was attacked by my dads dog when he visited one day . She had a huge wound and lost so many feathers, but she came good in a few days. I really thought she was going to die, but she proved me wrong as well :) They're tough old girls

Back
Top Bottom