dog attacked chicken

allisa44

Hatching
Feb 18, 2016
I have a 2-year-old labrador dog who got off his chain this morning and attacked one of my hens. the hen is my favourite hen and she also has been nesting on 14 eggs for 3 weeks, with only about 8 days to go. after my dog attacked her she became very shocked up and is missing lots of skin and features on her back. what should I do? should I put something on her wounds? I really don't want to lose this hen she is my favourite and if I lose her what do I do with the eggs she has been sitting on?

I have a 2-year-old labrador dog who got off his chain this morning and attacked one of my hens. the hen is my favourite hen and she also has been nesting on 14 eggs for 3 weeks, with only about 8 days to go. after my dog attacked her she became very shocked up and is missing lots of skin and features on her back. what should I do? should I put something on her wounds? I really don't want to lose this hen she is my favourite and if I lose her what do I do with the eggs she has been sitting on?
If you can get some close-up pics of the damaged areas it would be helpful.

Also, I think you've miscalculated. Chicken eggs only take 21+- to hatch. If your hen's been setting them for 3 weeks, they're due to hatch any time now, not 8 days from now.

If you could post the pics on the thread linked in the 2nd post above, there will be several folks only too happy to help.

Last edited:
I have placed on of my other hens on the eggs for now, she seems to be sitting on the eggs fine.my other hen which got attacked by the dog doesn't look to well and i think she is going to go soon :(

Did you look at my link? Are the injuries similar? Can you tell us what you've done so far?
I had a look at your link and my hen injuries is like yours but a little bit bigger across her whole back. i have moved her into my laundry which is warmer then outside and i have given her a pollard mix which she has eaten a little.

Ok great. Do you have anything to wash her off with? Does she have any deep punctures or just surface wounds?

I use dawn dishsoap to remove dirt and debris, then flush wounds with saline wound spray. There are other cleansers that are better. Be sure to dry her well so she doesn't catch a chill. I use a hair dryer on low and wiggle it to avoid hot spots. It takes a long time, but they seem to like it.

Back
Top Bottom