dog attacked chicken

I have slightly dampened a warm cloth and wiped the injury, but it is very red and has a small amount of blood coming off.

I would reach out in your local thread to see if anyone has an emergency incubator they can bring you if this hen doesn't make it or the other one doesn't choose to brood the eggs. As for the hen if you can keep her warm and keep her from getting an infection she can recover if there aren't internal injuries.

hugs.gif
best of luck!!

Last edited:
I had a hen attacked by a dog a few months ago. She also lost a lot of feathers, had a deep puncture bite wound near her tail, and her bare skin also looked bloody/raw, but was not split open other than at the puncture wound. After the attack, she appeared to be in shock, and although her legs, etc. were not injured, she was shaking and walking very wobbly like she was drunk. She was not eating or drinking anything, either.

Following advice here, I washed the wound with a saline spray from the drugstore and brought her into the basement for warmth and isolation overnight. I wasn't sure she would make it through the night, the way she was acting. The next morning I was able to take her to the vet, who gave her some subcutaneous fluids to combat dehydration from her not drinking, cleaned her wounds a bit better, and gave us oral antibiotics and a salve for her skin (Avian Soother Plus Topical Cream) to take home. I kept her isolated inside for about 3 days with electrolytes in her water, which I luckily still had from when they were chicks. I then put her back outside with a heat lamp by her roost--this was Oct./Nov., so it was chilly but not really cold. I kept her isolated for another 3-4 days outside (our coop is divided in two parts so she could see and hear the others but they couldn't touch her--I was worried about them picking at her wound). I also had to give her the antibiotics and the topical cream twice a day for 10 days. She healed 100%, and her feathers have now grown back in.

I heard here--and the vet confirmed--that the #1 thing to worry about if they survive the initial attack and the shock, is to watch that the wound stays clean and infection does not set in. My vet also said that saline was the only thing she would use to wash the wound--she did not like the foaming antibiotic wound spray that I bought at the drugstore to use, and said that it could irritate a bird's skin. I asked her about the gentian violet stuff, but she wasn't sure what I was talking about.

I hope this is useful for you! I hope your hen does ok!! I'm sorry you and she are going through this.

i just went outside to my chicken pen and checked the eggs and some of them have hatched now. the other hen is looking after the babies and eggs very well. my hen that was attacked is calmed down now and eating and drinking so i think she will make a full recovery.

Last edited:
i just went outside to my chicken pen and checked the eggs and some of them have hatched now. the other hen is looking after the babies and eggs very well. my hen that was attacked is calmed down now and eating and drinking so i think she will make a full recovery.

That's great! Keep her clean and dry. Watch her crop; every time I've had one attacked by a dog/coyote their digestion seems to slow and the crop stays full. Gentle massage and access to clean water got them moving for me every time.

Keep us posted! Do you have anything to treat her with? Was she only plucked (feathers pulled out) or also skinned (skin torn/missing)?

That's great! Keep her clean and dry. Watch her crop; every time I've had one attacked by a dog/coyote their digestion seems to slow and the crop stays full. Gentle massage and access to clean water got them moving for me every time.

Keep us posted! Do you have anything to treat her with? Was she only plucked (feathers pulled out) or also skinned (skin torn/missing)?
she had a lot of skin torn off but i have flushed it out and its looking good.

that is good to hear and congratulations on the Chickies :jumpy
I'm surprised that the other hen took over so well. Keep an eye on that too. I hope she gets better.

Sounds like you are on your way. I just stumbled on this post but I concur with what others have suggested.
I flush with saline and then treat with betadine 2 or 3 times a day. If you use a triple antibiotic ointment, get the eye type cause it melts at body temperature and will work its way deep into the wound.
Baby aspiring crushed and mixed with water for pain.
Campho-Phenique will also help as it is a pain relieving antiseptic.

the other hen has taken care of the eggs but not the chickens, so with the baby chickens, I have brought them inside and put them under a light. my other hen that was attacked, i have been putting spray ointment on it wound and its starting to look better and i think she will make a full recovery.

Back
Top Bottom