Dog attacked hen

I agree with wyorp rock, my hen did not like being separated from the rest of the flock ..I set her down after her warm Epsom salts an told her that if she would heal up enough so the rest of the girls wouldn't pick at her wound she go back to the yard and coop...she clucked "ok" and 3 days of warm bath and neosporin she went back to the flock...she moved slowly and didn't RUN anywhere but she was back and a much happier girl. What part of Texas are you in...Snowflake Farm is a little north of corpus christi.

How did you care for her if she never laid a shelled egg? Did she just basically poop egg yolk/white and stay ok like that? Or did you need to flush her vent often?
It was pretty inconvenient, since her eggs were always broken by her or the other hens in the nest boxes making a mess and attracting fies and maggots. I had to clean out the nest boxes every day, and disinfect them before putting fresh bedding. I wished that she would stop laying. Eventually she did stop, but then she died at 2 1/2 probably due to her injuries and egg yolk peritonitis.

Glad that you pr hen is doing so well, and I hope that she keeps up her recovery.

So today she laid an egg. And clucked all proud of herself.
But I'm trying to figure out what kind of antibiotics I should give her because her wound is actually putting off an odor. Shes still behaving as if nothing ever happened. But on her right breast I notice a piece of meat just kind of... lifted up off her.
And it looks pretty dark. I've heard too much peroxide is too harsh on her skin so I havent put as much anymore. Just neosporin and such.
We chose to not eat this egg just because we are unsure what's going on inside of her. But damn shes a fighter!

I agree with wyorp rock, my hen did not like being separated from the rest of the flock ..I set her down after her warm Epsom salts an told her that if she would heal up enough so the rest of the girls wouldn't pick at her wound she go back to the yard and coop...she clucked "ok" and 3 days of warm bath and neosporin she went back to the flock...she moved slowly and didn't RUN anywhere but she was back and a much happier girl. What part of Texas are you in...Snowflake Farm is a little north of corpus christi.

Not sure what snowflake farm is. But I'm in san antonio.

Can you irrigate her wound with chlorhexidene or some weak Betadine? Saline (1 tsp of table salt in a quart or liter of water) heated and simmered, and then cooled would be okay until you get one of those. A turkey baster or syringe cannbe used to flush the wound. Repeat twice a day and use the plain antibiotic ointment. Can you see a vet Monday to get some antibiotics? Sometimes you can find Fish Mox amoxicillin at feed stores.

Back
Top Bottom