Dog attacked hen

Flowerpott

Songster
Aug 12, 2019
Kerrville texas
I'm really hoping someone can offer some advice and sooner then later.
My leghorn hen JUST laid her first egg yesterday for is.
Today one of our dogs managed to get into the chicken yard and attacked her. I have discovered how she got in and everything is being fixed and dog proof.
Hen appears to be fine 2 hours later. She does have some damage to her breast wing area but from what I can tell it's just skin and feather damage. No bite Mark's that I can see anywhere. She was shock.. panting very pale face and at first i thought she was dead the way her head was twisted and she just lay there. But ince i got to her she perked up and just panted hard and her eyes would shut but open shortly after.
She is no longer panting. She is eating normal and drinking her water normal. Even attacking my bracelets thinking they have snacks on them. Shes acting very normal but is still walking with her wings out a bit. Bit dragging. Just poofed.
To get to my point:
(sorry I'm so thorough with detail)

I noticed a poop that looked yellow. So I further examined her vent area and there was a soft empty egg shell hanging off her vent butt feathers.
So now I realize what I thought what horrid diarrhea is actually the egg yolk itself.

Is this an issue I need to be concerned about? Is there a risk of infection with an egg busting inside of her?
Please help me.
She didnt lay a second egg today. This happened today at 2 in the afternoon. Her first egg that she laid yesterday came to us right at about 12 noon.
I'm extremely new to hens and the egg process. So this seriously has me concerned.

It's possible that she does have serious internal injuries, although I do hope not. If possible, get her to your veterinarian's, for an exam and maybe xray. Internal injuries can occur without any obvious puncture wounds, although you might see some bruising.
If she's shocked but actually in good shape, that would be wonderful.
Mary

I'm wondering if somehow the dog might of.. crushed the egg in her? The shell itself has a big slit on the side of it like it was cut open. Very soft though.
She doesn't seem to be very shocked at the moment. She is actually acting extremely normal. I have her outside so she doesnt get nervous inside and she is picking bugs and scratching the ground and chasing butterflies. I see no bruising or punctures but she does also have all of her feathers minus where it looks like she was skinned. I did not see this happen but my guess is she just had her feathers ripped out and took some skin with it.

Even though her first egg was yesterday and this is my "second egg" ugh.
Is there any chance she would lay would tomorrow after this event? And would that maybe better help me see what's going on in there?

Unfortunately at the moment I am unable to get her to a vet. Money is an issue at the moment even though she is a part of the family there isnt anything I can financially do for her :(

Hopefully, your hen was just roughed up and she will be okay, but time will tell. A hen of mine, the best layer of large eggs daily, was hurt by a neighbor’s dog. She had some minor injuries and feather loss. She stopped laying and entered a molt for 2 months. Five months from her attack, she started laying again, but never laid an egg with a shell again. I have had hens with no marks on them die from a dog attack. Good luck with your hen, and I hope that she recovers.

So far we're still ok. She has been inside since I noticed some flies in the yard. I cleaned her up with a bit if peroxide and put a super germ shield type neosporin on her fleshy parts.
She is still eating. But not nearly as much as usual. She didn't go nuts for banana like she normally does. She just keeps standing and shutting her eyes which I've never noticed her do so I'm still worried.
I had a silkie roo awhile back who lost all of his feathers on his whole back and had bite marks that were very visible due to a neighbors idiot mistake and he survived it just fine with no shock.

For now time will tell with my girl Sarah. I'm worried about her and I feel like such a let down that I didn't secure her enough and protect her.

Hopefully, your hen was just roughed up and she will be okay, but time will tell. A hen of mine, the best layer of large eggs daily, was hurt by a neighbor’s dog. She had some minor injuries and feather loss. She stopped laying and entered a molt for 2 months. Five months from her attack, she started laying again, but never laid an egg with a shell again. I have had hens with no marks on them die from a dog attack. Good luck with your hen, and I hope that she recovers.

How did you care for her if she never laid a shelled egg? Did she just basically poop egg yolk/white and stay ok like that? Or did you need to flush her vent often?

Back
Top Bottom