Dog attacked my chicken!

abbzgrl

Chirping
5 Years
Aug 4, 2014
Hilliard Florida
158E25DA-C3E6-47D3-B2D4-4BD8CA56922F.jpeg 134D63C5-78D9-4B03-BA52-DD8EAE0CE302.jpeg 9E2F0FCD-1B9F-43A8-9C52-ADF42F0B3C75.jpeg
158E25DA-C3E6-47D3-B2D4-4BD8CA56922F.jpeg
One of my Easter eggers got attacked by a hound dog. I managed to get the chicken back but it was badly hurt. Large lacerations across back and a couple on either side. Back laceration was deep but don’t think anything major was hit. Not sure cuz I don’t know what I’m looking at. I stitched her up with a needle and thread cuz what else could I’ve done ‍ Cleaned the wounds with veterycin spray and covered back with coconut oil and gauze. Then wrapped her up. Idk what else I should be doing for her. Any antibiotics I can give to her? What else can I do?

Last edited:
There’s not much to do but give her time.
In one picture she has a white thing across her back, was that a bandage?
Maybe separating her from the flock would be easier because the other chickens may peck her. Chickens peck other hurt or injured chickens. Separating her would prevent more injuries and especially if you have a rooster, he wouldn’t be jumping on her back.

There’s not much to do but give her time.
In one picture she has a white thing across her back, was that a bandage?
Maybe separating her from the flock would be easier because the other chickens may peck her. Chickens peck other hurt or injured chickens. Separating her would prevent more injuries and especially if you have a rooster, he wouldn’t be jumping on her back.
Yes that’s a bandage. I have her in a crate on my back porch. I didn’t want her getting maggots. Anything I can give in her food to help her?

They sell sprays at grange, or feed stores (I got mine at Coastal farm and ranch) that are made to help keep the bacteria down, as well as a triple antibiotic ointment with out certain ingredients (NOT AQUAPHOR) in the cuts and then a bandage to keep flies out. I have also heard of turmeric in the wounds for more organic choice. We just had an attack yesterday and we're right there with ya! We need to trim her feathers still, but the spray really helps get coverage on the bare skin. Our hen is a Cream Legbar, shes the sweetest of the two layers left, because our dog has had no training (to say specialty training) for keeping away. There are resources out there for guidance on that though! I hope this helps. ALSO I forgot (make sure she stays really hydrated with a hen boost in the water (electrolytes and extra vitamin)! and lots of fresh clean food)

B48DCA4B-C6A3-490E-8377-5AD598E42CCB.jpeg CECF93E1-F47D-4DF2-8094-6B61ED1F8A92.jpeg Just changed my girl’s bandages. I did a second dressing change last night. Irrigated the wound and applied honey to it. This dressing change I irrigated again, sprayed with veterycin, then applied coconut pile with a couple drops of oregano oil. She is very bruised. I just hope that all that is and not bleeding internally somewhere. She is not eating. I’ve tried hard boiled egg, some bird seeds that my chickens love and nothing. She also is not drinking. I’ve used a syringe to force her to drink with some pedialyte in it. But I don’t know what else to do to encourage her to eat and drink. For the most part she has been quiet and just sitting in the crate. A little feisty when I did the dressing change and tried to get her to drink. I hope I’m Doing all I can.

Attachments

• 1EEA66A5-719B-4E1B-9792-767A7035212C.jpeg
    1EEA66A5-719B-4E1B-9792-767A7035212C.jpeg
    451.1 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Poor girl. She may still be in shock. First of all, make sure she is in a warm spot. If you porch is not warm, you may want to bring her inside. Second, if she is not eating or drinking and cannot be tempted with her favorites, I would continue with the syringe feeding. I have used a mix of water fortified with honey, yogurt and nutri-drench before with an injured hen. It took my injured hen about 4 days of force-feeding before she started showing interest in water and food on her own. I have read other stories of it taking two weeks, so it may take some time.

Poor girl. She may still be in shock. First of all, make sure she is in a warm spot. If you porch is not warm, you may want to bring her inside. Second, if she is not eating or drinking and cannot be tempted with her favorites, I would continue with the syringe feeding. I have used a mix of water fortified with honey, yogurt and nutri-drench before with an injured hen. It took my injured hen about 4 days of force-feeding before she started showing interest in water and food on her own. I have read other stories of it taking two weeks, so it may take some time.
How much should I give her and how often?

Back
Top Bottom