Dog attacked my chickens and I need advice

Jessyca55

In the Brooder
Mar 10, 2019
a dog came an attacked our flock today managed to kill 3 and now I have a injured one it looks like it took a piece out but it’s so hard to tell what I should do I cleaned it with saline wound spray and hydrogen peroxide and also used would clot to stop bleeding and has antibacterial stuff in it. She is waking and eating fine etc but I did take her out of the coop even though the other 4 girls were not being mean to her I just didn’t want to risk it and also took her into my garage into a kennel to keep the flys away from her. Any advice I’ll post a pic

Attachments

• 8D8AD684-52AB-4930-81E0-F00EE46CCEBB.jpeg
    8D8AD684-52AB-4930-81E0-F00EE46CCEBB.jpeg
    579.8 KB · Views: 9
  • F3A4C43D-6403-46E6-97FD-D48BB431B782.jpeg
    F3A4C43D-6403-46E6-97FD-D48BB431B782.jpeg
    428.1 KB · Views: 8
poor chicken. I am no expert, but these are pretty hardy critters. I think separating and protecting from insects, keeping clean is best. other chickens WILL peck at that wound if they notice it. good luck - keep us posted!

poor chicken. I am no expert, but these are pretty hardy critters. I think separating and protecting from insects, keeping clean is best. other chickens WILL peck at that wound if they notice it. good luck - keep us posted!
Ok it shouldn’t be to hot in my garage do you think? That’s the only place I can keep her away from bugs and that means keeping the doors closed. And I have to work all day so I’m just worried

Definitely keep her at "look but don't touch" from her flockmates until you can get a scab formed and blu-kote applied (blue or purple tinted antiseptic spray for livestock/chickens) to camouflage the injury. If you have a kennel for her, it would be good to move that into the coop with your flock so that she doesn't lose her place in the pecking order. Chickens are a lot tougher than they get credit for. I've seen some horrendous wounds heal perfectly, so keep the faith. It's a big wound, so you'll need to keep it clean but do not use hydrogen peroxide on it after the first time as it's strong enough to kill living tissue; once for the boil out of debris and not again.

Definitely keep her at "look but don't touch" from her flockmates until you can get a scab formed and blu-kote applied (blue or purple tinted antiseptic spray for livestock/chickens) to camouflage the injury. If you have a kennel for her, it would be good to move that into the coop with your flock so that she doesn't lose her place in the pecking order. Chickens are a lot tougher than they get credit for. I've seen some horrendous wounds heal perfectly, so keep the faith. It's a big wound, so you'll need to keep it clean but do not use hydrogen peroxide on it after the first time as it's strong enough to kill living tissue; once for the boil out of debris and not again.
Perfect thank you for the advice I’m keeping her in the garage until it scabs so flys An more dirt don’t get into it but I will take her down to hang out with them I just don’t want her sleeping in the run or coop we have had so much rain it made a lot of flys.

Back
Top Bottom