Dog bite question.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sczarnecki90, Mar 4, 2017.

1. sczarnecki90

sczarnecki90 New Egg

Dec 31, 2016
    Northern Mi
    Hello im new here and have a quick question on a injury to a 6 month old hen. Her skin is torn from the center breast region down to the thigh&leg joint. There is a small bite mark in her breast but that is the only damage i see to the actual meat. Theres not as much blood as you would expect looking at the wound. Ive got her inside the house in the utility sink under a lamp to dry her off as i found her in snowbank. Ive patted the wound dry and applied dr. Naylor blu-kote. Im just wondering if this is something that she can recover from or if its a lost cause. I will post some pictures of the wound in a little while after she dries off and shows sign of feeling a little better. Any info is appreciated, thanks

2. 1cock2hens

1cock2hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2015
    The Far SW of missouri
    A lot of chickens recover from dog attacks just depends on the severity, your case doesn't sound to bad . They are a lot more resilient then people give them credit for.

3. 1cock2hens

1cock2hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2015
    The Far SW of missouri
    Welcome to byc by the way! [​IMG] glad you are here // wish it was under better circumstances

4. FoodFreedomNow

FoodFreedomNow Chillin' With My Peeps

If the skin tear is really the only injury (no unseen internal injuries, for example), then she definitely could recover. I had a pullet that suffered a similar skin tear (different cause), and treated her with Vetericyn spray. It took a while, but she recovered and is indistinguishable from her sisters now.

Best wishes for your pullet's recovery!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by