Dog bite

smtn0515

Hatching
Jul 29, 2016
We had two of our chickens bitten by our dog that mistakenly got let outside when the chickens were out of their pen. I have put antibiotic ointment on the wounds, but was wondering if they could be given injectable antibiotics. I work as a NP and have access to Rocephin and could mix a very small baby dose for them. Has anyone ever given their birds injections of antibiotics?

We had two of our chickens bitten by our dog that mistakenly got let outside when the chickens were out of their pen. I have put antibiotic ointment on the wounds, but was wondering if they could be given injectable antibiotics. I work as a NP and have access to Rocephin and could mix a very small baby dose for them. Has anyone ever given their birds injections of antibiotics?

Welcome to BYC.

Depending on how bad the wound is, most chickens will heal nicely if you have cleaned/flushed the wound well, apply plain neosporin or vetericyn and make sure they eat and drink well. Poultry vitamins in the water a couple of days won't hurt and you can offer some extra protein like egg, tuna, mackerel or meat. If the wound gets infected, then antibiotics may be appropriate - you may want to consult your vet as to which one is best for wounds in poultry.

Ms. Lazy got stunned and picked up by my German shepherd. Her wings, not broken, a little wound on her chest below her neck. She is moving and talking when I talk to her . How many times should I clean the wound ? 2-3 x's a day? Do I need to give her antibiotics? I cleaned the wound, places some iodine , and neosporin on the little bitty wound. She is warm and in the house. Any more advice for this newbie? Thanks

Ms. Lazy got stunned and picked up by my German shepherd. Her wings, not broken, a little wound on her chest below her neck. She is moving and talking when I talk to her . How many times should I clean the wound ? 2-3 x's a day? Do I need to give her antibiotics? I cleaned the wound, places some iodine , and neosporin on the little bitty wound. She is warm and in the house. Any more advice for this newbie? Thanks
SO far so good. 1-2 times a day should be enough to keep her wounds clean. Antibiotics only if the bite marks look red and irritated. Observation is the key to spotting trouble so check her out frequently until it is clear she is on the mend.

Miss Lazy is sleeping. She was laid out like a stick now she is laying like a hen and sleeping . Chirping every once in while. She hasn't walked to her water or anything. Should I be worried she ain't walking around yet. I know she misses not being with her buddies Daisy & Maisy.

Do you have a photo of the wound?

Keep her warm. She needs to be drinking and eating. Drinking first, chicks can get dehydrated quickly. If you have some Sav-A-Chick electrolytes/vitamins off that in her water or you can mix a small amount of sugar in water to give her. Wet chick starter, scrambled/hard boiled egg to eat. If you need to syringe or tube water/liquids into her.

She could have been squeezed and possibly have some internal damage. Apply your ointment to the wound a couple of times a day.

Let us know how she's doing.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/805728/go-team-tube-feeding POST 15&17 shows where to put tube or syringe

Do you have a photo of the wound?

Keep her warm. She needs to be drinking and eating. Drinking first, chicks can get dehydrated quickly. If you have some Sav-A-Chick electrolytes/vitamins off that in her water or you can mix a small amount of sugar in water to give her.  Wet chick starter, scrambled/hard boiled egg to eat.  If you need to syringe or tube water/liquids into her.

She could have been squeezed and possibly have some internal damage. Apply your ointment to the wound a couple of times a day.

Let us know how she's doing.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/805728/go-team-tube-feeding  POST 15&17 shows where to put tube or syringe
I

I will keep you updated. Thanks for the advice. Miss. Lazy pooped, and moving around slowly. I have an eye dropper and will give her water and yes I have the vitamin special water for the girls. (Good thing) and will make her chick mash and eggs! Thanks

I

I will keep you updated. Thanks for the advice. Miss. Lazy pooped, and moving around slowly. I have an eye dropper and will give her water and yes I have the vitamin special water for the girls. (Good thing) and will make her chick mash and eggs! Thanks

The wound is very tiny on her chest.

Back
Top Bottom