Dog Breed Experience Poll/Database

Our Anatolian Shepherd is the only dog we have that has killed any of our birds and she only went after baby chicks that we let free range,she managed to get 2 before we could stop her from going after more.
We believe it is the sudden movements that attracts her attention.
The ducks and most of the larger chickens have been around her for 8+ months and the dog just ignores them when they free range.

We have a Catahoula that ignores the birds as well.

Occasionally we will keep the MIL's dogs..2 Mini Schnauzers and 1 Yorkie all of which stay away from our birds
It may have something to do with our ducks going after them the first time they were here.

I am actually glad to see this topic at this time. My shiba inu, who recently died, was not to be trusted anywhere near my chickens. But she was of a notoriously headstrong breed of dog that was bred in Japan for hunting small game. Training was extremely difficult, but I had her before I had my chickens.

I'm hoping to get a couch potato dog from the pound and am very interested to know in general what breeds are to be avoided: I figured terriers would not be a good choicce. And since I recognize that each dog will be different in temperament, can folks suggest ways in which to acclimate a dog to chickens? (Mind you, whenever my chickens and ducks are out of their pen, I try to be around in case of hawks, etc, so there will be supervision). I'd like to get a dog whose mere presence would deter wild predators, but who would also not be interested in my birds.

Thanks!

Quote:
Sorry, but my deceased Pit Bull was a chicken's best friend and guardian. My Miniature Schnauzer loves chickens, eats with them and they think that she is one of the flock.

Quote:
I'm gonna have to back that one up.

If you have a terrier breed, and it hasn't killed your chickens, it's because you have been ultra-vigilant. Don't send me hate mail - I love them all. Just sayin' - dogs have been bred for generations to do certain things. Terriers were bred to kill vermin. Prey and chase drive are very strong. There are always exceptions - and exceptional dogs - but op is kind of looking at the bulk of what's known about a breed.

I have a keeshond - sweet fluffball. Not a terrier breed, but they were bred to kill rats/mice on dutch barges. He is a sight hunter, and pounces anything that moves...until he thinks about it and identifies it. I love him dearly, but he doesn't ever get to visit my chickens. Plus, his PLAY drive is a little high.
wink.png

PS - Bernese Mtn Dogs ROCK!
smile.png

Last edited:
I have a pekenese/poodle... called a pekapoo. He is a great chicken herding dog. He is very obedient (although the training was difficult) and he takes his job very seriously. He does not allow the chickens to a nieghbors house that doesn't like chickens and he "guards" that corner of the yard (where of course the chickens love to go!!!) and doesn't allow them to pass. His small size makes him ideal for getting under cars to flush out the renegades that try to stay out beyond their turn in the free grazing fields. Some of them stray under nearby parked cars and my little pekapoo is a rock star of the chicken world. I would highly recommend the poodle in them for just this job and the pekenese for the calm nature. He doesn't bark or shed and he will defend his chickens against any size attacker from both the air or ground. He walks calmly and at a safe distance so as not to spook them...just as a person would in a very non threatening manner. Even a mastiff or coyote is in danger of a serious attack from this little chicken herder if they get too close to his flock. Every chicken/dog lover should have one... He makes rounding up the chicken (I have about 20 that go out together) by myself a much easier job... since he multiplies my person by 100 percent.

Quote:
I higly disagree!!!! My Yorkies (Yorkshire TERRIERS) only chase the chickens but they barely do it. My Yorkies protect the chickens too. So I disagree.

Dogs who have been chicken killers in my personal experience:
German Shepard
Jack Russell
Min Pin
English Pointer
German Shorthaired Pointer

I must say that I also own a German Shorthair who is excellent with the chickens so it is something that is not necessarily the breed, but more the individual dog in question.

Our Australian Shepherd is a friend to the chickens. Since they have grown up the two biggest have decided they don't like her anymore and chase her around. She just runs away and does nothing to defend herself.

37469_img_3346.jpg

We have a Pit Bull, and a Rottweiler. The Pit is the smarter of the two by far. I introduced them when the chicks were young, and have never had a problem. They all free range together in the yard, without supervision. They don't let anything in the yard, although not for the chickens benefit. The Rott will help me herd them when I'm trying to get them in early. The Pit ignores them. The Rottweiler will go in through the small pop door to eat their food though, grrr.

I think it helps a lot that the dogs know who is the boss around here, and whose chickens they are.

Back
Top Bottom