Dog Breeds: Old vs New, Working vs Show- with many pictures

More mastiffs, because for them the changes have been quick and drastic. In a span of a few decades they have more or less lost their faces.

Look at these dogs from the seventies compared to dogs of today...

Neapolitan Mastiff, also called the Italian Mastiff:

----
Now golden retrievers, work line first then show:

---
The bedlington terrier:

---
And the last one for now, Irish setters, work vs show...

You don't realize how bizarre/deformed-looking the show dogs are until you see them next to their working counterparts.

I really like Seppalla Siberian huskies. They are hard-working and absolutely beautiful with so many color patterns.

Seppallas:

Show Siberian Huskies:

They all look the same! More of that extra-plush, "stocky" look that is popular in the show breeding world nowadays.

You are correct, if I can add to your post. If the breed clubs really cared about dogs welfare they would not allow puppy mills to register pure dogs. Many people care greatly about the dogs in breed clubs, but for the rotten few that don't it spoils the whole bunch.

You are correct, if I can add to your post. If the breed clubs really cared about dogs welfare they would not allow puppy mills to register pure dogs. Many people care greatly about the dogs in breed clubs, but for the rotten few that don't it spoils the whole bunch.

Please go ahead, add all you want! I would love to have a more in-depth discussion, the pictures are just there for starting points.

That is absolutely true. Though normally, breeders associated with the clubs are show breeders, as the individual breed clubs have codes of ethics.. The kennel club allows registration from anyone with purebred dogs.

Though, they are the ones who write the standards for the breeds which has led to the massive differences between working and show dogs.

What's amazing is that a dog show is supposed to be an overall evaluation of breeding stock, including workability....but now looks is really all that matters.

It'd be a lot harder to find a mill associated with the breed club than to find one who sells "AKC registered pups". Though, the kennel club in and of itself is nothing more than a registry to track purebred lines.

Back
Top Bottom