Dog Breeds: Old vs New, Working vs Show- with many pictures

Alot of people don't realize how different golden retrievers are nowadays. Your pictures above really show it. I had a golden growing up who was one of the last old types. Deep golden color, 60 lb female and smart as whip. She looked very similar to the pic showed of the working golden. The only goldens I see now are light cream colored and up to 120 lbs. I'm not even sure where you you could get a old style golden as I haven't seen any that look like her in the past 15 years. If anybody knows of an old style breeder in the Great Lakes area PM me !

History of the poodle:

The poodle is descended from an ancient and rare dog called the Barbet.

Poodles were sometimes classified as retrievers, sometimes spaniels. Early on poodles were often corded but today those are rare.

Some working poodles:

Some show poodles:

I also found this while looking up show poodle:

Poor dog. You can barely tell it is a dog. I don't think its really a show dog but its definitely not a working dog either!

History of the poodle:

The poodle is descended from an ancient and rare dog called the Barbet.

Poodles were sometimes classified as retrievers, sometimes spaniels. Early on poodles were often corded but today those are rare.

Some working poodles:

Some show poodles:

I also found this while looking up show poodle:

Poor dog. You can barely tell it is a dog. I don't think its really a show dog but its definitely not a working dog either!

Growing up I had a neighbor with working poodles. Wonderful, athletic dogs. They were kept trimmed short in summer to keep cool, a bit longer in winter, but not overly long. I looked forward to letting them out after school (I was given a few dollars a week for this, the owners were still at work, but wanted the dogs to get a good leg stretch/potty break) since it meant I got plenty of time to play with them in the yard. Probably an added bonus for my neighbor having a kid tucker their dogs out! If all my own dogs weren't shelter dogs, perhaps one day I would enjoy a pet quality working poodle.

I quit breeding Australian Shepherds because they are a herding breed. 95% of the people that contacted me looking for a companion, lived in an apartment and wanted female blue Merle that had lots of "chrome". And the real killer? She HAD to have two blue eyes. they are not looking for a companion, they are looking for a status symbol.
Hi! I'm in So Cal too! Here's my boy Dillon. BEST all around ranch dog and companion ever! I swear, this dog has never done 1 thing wrong. Can't imagine what he would have been like in an apartment or the city with no job though.

What a great interesting thread! May add the Airedale Terrier? I've had them for close to 20 years. Such a divide between show and working dog breeders in this breed. Here's the historic working Airedale.

Here's the current "show type, about 40-50 lbs, less than 23"

Here's my working Airedale that would get scorned in a show ring for her size. 75 lbs of smart wonderful dog.

Back
Top Bottom