dog breeds that will not chase chickens

We got our first chickens this spring when our chocolate Lab was 9 1/2 years old. She was curious about the little peeping chicks. I had her sit next to the brooder and would take a chick out, holding it in my left hand, and let her smell it. In my right hand, I had a treat that I would use to distract her to the right while saying, "Leave it." I guess I did this 4-5 times for 3 sessions. When I moved them out to their run and decided they were big enough to go into the yard we had no problem with our dog chasing them. In fact, she would lie down in the yard while we were out there. The chicks were curious about her and would go up to her face. Kona would look away! They would go around to look her in the face and she would go inside. LOL. It's neat to watch her with them now.

I think it is about knowing your dog, teaching it that the chickens are yours, and you are the boss. We got Kona when she was 8 wks old from a great breeder. We made a bed for her in a basket that we put next to us wherever we went in the house, and she knew that was her place. When we left home, we put the basket in the kitchen and gated it when we left home. She was never crated although we did have one set up for her. When she outgrew the basket, we put the blanket that was in it onto a big dog bed. To this day, she is like our shadow. When we're both home, she follows me around the house and yard. When I am not around, she's at hubs feet. I tell you all this to explain that your dog's personality and how you have raised and taught it will determine your success or failure in training it to leave the chickens alone.

Almost every dog will chase chickens. It all depends on the behavior And personality of the individual dog. My labradoodle puppy, Rosie loves to chase my chickens but my older 12 year old terrier mix Cindy could care less. I think age and determination has a lot to do with it

Probably any of the livestock guardian dogs can be raised to keep watch over the chickens, I know mine do.

I would never trust a Husky or Malamute with the birds.

My English Setter will see the chickens and "set" until I pick her up and turn her around. If one gets loose she will chase it until she corners it, then she will hold it there until I pick it up and return it to the pen.

Besides the chicken compatibility, you also need a dog YOU can live with. Id start there, and then eliminate breeds that are highly predatory.
An LGD breed would probably be least likely to chase, due to their purpose, but they still need training. Birds are the hardest type of animal for them to be good with. But, can you also live with the size? The coat? The fact that they are not obedient dogs, and are not going to mindlessly sit because you said so?
Look at the whole dog - the energy level, the physical traits, the general demeanor and then look at the chickens. Many breeds are very trainable, so while they may not be the "best" for chickens, they may learn not to chase them.

For the most part, dog breeds are like races of people. All races of people murder and all races of people are kind. Any breed of dog will chase and kill cats, chickens, etc. I just lost 5 hens to my neighbors 20 lb. Miniature Pincher. My chickens hang out with my 100lb. Doberman (who was inside at the time of the slaughter) and follow him around the yard. He was raised up around them and had to be taught not to run after them. (It is alot of fun after all). One even stole a bone from him. He wasn't sure if it was ok to take it back. He snuck up to the hen with his head real low to the ground , grabbed it and ran. The point is any breed can be taught to do any job or exhibit any trait, we must spend the time to make them do what we want them to do. Training was easy on the leash, it was much harder off- leash where corrections can't be made as easy. I was able to throw a small stick at the dog to cease any chasing but I can see where a shock collar or a lightly pumped-up pellet gun might have to be used for stubborn canines, but once taught, lesson learned.

Quote:
Even as a puppy mine American stafordshire terrier.....have to much "terrier" personality in them. A chicken starts bouncing and darting around like a tennisball and they are chasing it. They will stand next to them behind a fence. The older one would come up and sniff the chicks with out any bother.
The fast movements set off dogs to chase. An older dog would not bother once they see how fast they are.

Quote:
I let the chickens loose in the yard and walked the dog through and around them on a leash. Do that and they will grow numb to the fact that they are surrounded by chicken dinners. The leave it comand works well. This takes time. Having a flock to train the dog by is good as well. The dog won't be able to focus on one chicken and make it a target. Do not let the dog focus on a chicken.

I would say that it totally depends on the dog. My German Shepherd/Husky dog loves our chickens. She tries (half heartedly) to keep them in the run but mostly they ignore her or run away frantically with wings out. She will protect them from others (especially my 20 year old son who likes to scatter the flock for fun. Dog hates that and lets him know). We started introducing the chicks to her every day to see what she would do. We've only had the chickens for less than year but I totally trust her 100% with them. She is a totally mellow dog. I also recgnise that the next dog I get is going to have to totally be trained and tested for chicken compatabiliy. I love that I can trust my dog with the birds. I could be that we have a ton of animals and she's just used to different things. She loves the parakeets we've had for years and used to just sit and watch them facinated with their behavior. It buggs the birds though.

Last edited:
We have an old corgi that ignores the chickens. not sure I would trust a young one. My daughter has 2 labs. One is an idiot that hasn't noticed the chickens yet. The other wanted to get the chickens but I have "trained " her to leave them alone.......so far.

black lab/german shepherd!!!!
train him/her very well and get him/her used to the chickens. My dog, Senka is a black lab/german shepherd who will willingly chase any animal, raccoon, squirrel (she's a BIG TIME squirrel chaser), cat, even a deer. (we went deer scouting once, and she picked up a trail, almost followed it but we told her not to so she followed us) So point being, get a lab/german shepherd. If they're trained correctly, they'll be loyal, and won't chase the chickens.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom