Dog breeds

Baker_eggs

In the Brooder
Mar 5, 2022
I would like to get another dog, and I want her to to be good with my chickens. I have a mutt who is excellent with them, but I used to have a husky who was the death of at least one of my chickens. I’m thinking of getting either a German Shepard or an Australian Shepard. Do any of you have these breeds? Are they good with your chickens? Which is better?

Both of those breeds are generally high prey drive, and while they can be okay with chickens, they might require a good bit of training to get there.

Pet peeve- it's shepherd :D
All dogs could be good around chickens. I have a retriever right now she wont hurt my chickens but will hunt other birds. Australian shepherds might be a little better than German shepherds.

Of course. But OP is asking about specific breeds that would be the best around chickens. Some are better than others.
Hey Isadora, interesting new avatar, a little creepy, kinda reminds me of
1653183384778.png

🤣🤣🤣

My German shepherds killed many chickens and eventually I rehomed the female. It wasn't pretty but nothing would stop her.

Oddly my doberman is very good with the chickens. I thought he would go after them but when he's in the yard with them he's great, when they're on the other side of the fence he barks at them. (he is very well trained to an ecollar and had a wireless fence system too. He can't have any shock, just the tone and he stays in the yard. He used to jump the 4' chain link fence and run around the neighborhood. Now he's a good dog)

Dogs I've started as puppies have been easier to manage around the chickens: one German Shorthaired Pointer, Three Chesapeake Bay retrievers, and one Dalmation. Older dogs are more challenging. My foundling Dalmation became a believer, while our mutt, and then the rescue pit bull terriers, weren't so good. Our current terriers have an excellent fence, and I've been very lazy and not tried to 'chicken proof' either of them.
In very general terms, dogs bred to work with people closely are going to be easier than dogs meant to do their own thing. Hence, terriers, hounds, and sled dogs are most difficult, while gun dogs are more likely to listen to the boss.
Mary

Back
Top Bottom