Dog cages for coturnix?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by nikirushka, Nov 28, 2016.

1. nikirushka

nikirushka Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2014
    I'll need to start introductions between my four groups soon, but I don't have any big, easily moveable cages that will fit in the main pen to do it. Just a heavy hutch that will be awkward if not impossible for me to get in there (I have no help). What I do have though is a spare dog cage! Would that work, or would the gaps be too big? All adults/young adults.

2. JaeG

JaeG Overrun With Chickens

Sep 29, 2014
    New Zealand
    Our first three quail used to live in our dog crate in the laundry and we never had any escapees. I think it would be ideal.

3. JaeG

JaeG Overrun With Chickens

Sep 29, 2014
    New Zealand
    Just watch rodents if they are on the ground outside as rats will grab them through the bars. Maybe attach some wood or plastic or a tarpaulin on the sides.

4. Binki

Binki Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    The bars may be too wide, I'm not sure how big they are :p good point about the rodents but if it's within the big pen that's rodent proof? it should be okay as long as you don't get two fighters on either side of the wide bars.

I'm a fan of old cages on Kijiji (buy and sell online app in Canada) a lot of them you can get for $5-20 dollars for fair sized rabbit cages.

Then you remove the bottom plastic and place the wire part of the cage directly on the ground, placing the plastic bottom on top of the cage to give shade and rain resistance. This method has helped me introduce quail to my aviary and the small cage doors are convenient when feeding and watering them so they don't run out :p

5. nikirushka

Dec 2, 2014
    The pen is indoors, so no issue with predators or rodents.

I can't afford to buy anything else at the moment, event second hand which is why i'm looking at this idea :)

This is purely for introductions into the big group so not a permanent solution, I don't want to be covering the sides or it kind of defeats the purpose!

Bars are 1.25" apart.

6. Q QUAIL S

Q QUAIL S Out Of The Brooder

Nov 21, 2016
    I was looking at your post I was thinking that the quail might be able to get out. You might think of putting chicken wire on the outside so they don't get out.

7. nikirushka

Dec 2, 2014
    I was musing on that idea too, luckily I have some bits of aviary mesh I'd forgotten about that should be big enough. If not for the whole thing I could rig something up with cardboard to cover what the mesh can't, so there is still an area where the two groups can see each other and interact safely.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by