Dog changed our design plans...

Quote:

Chicks drown very, very easily. They can drown in a bowl of water. Use a waterer specifically designed for poultry that restricts amount/depth of water. If you must use a bowl keep it shallow and add rocks so birds can't fall completely in.

I once saw a picture of adult chickens swimming...but it's very rare. I'd expect a bird to get water logged and sink...not float and swim.

I couldn't agree more about tying the dog up, our last dog never needed to be. He's being rewarded lately, for staying at home, and it makes me not want to chain him. We had to do it today because he was digging at the tractor like mad. Whining when we scolded him, then he'd do it again a few minutes later. This went on for about an hour. Since day one when we brought the chickens home, he's sat at the door most of the day, looking at the box they were in. Yeah. My 7 yr old has had to watch him eat bunnies so she's fairly protective of the chicks at least. :(

Instead of tying the dog up, why not get a shock collar and TRAIN it to leave the birds alone?

If you don't want to train it, you should give it to someone who won't keep it tied up all the time

That's not much of a life for a dog

Instead of tying the dog up, why not get a shock collar and TRAIN it to leave the birds alone?

If you don't want to train it, you should give it to someone who won't keep it tied up all the time

That's not much of a life for a dog

I fully agree. Don't tie the dog up, its not even safe for him. Many cities are passing ordinances against it because of so many bad outcomes. But I would say there are better training techniques than a shock collar.
Plus labs are bird dogs so it shouldnt be to bad to teach him to to not kill them....My husky learned on his own and I never thought he had a chance of being by them so didn't bother trying to train. Let the dog see how important they are to you while he is still around, its amazing how much that means for some dogs.

As far as cats??? I have talked to people who say cats are there worst predators and yes some of them can take down a full size hen.

Have you considered portable electric poultry netting? Couls solve a lot of your needs with one solution.

Last edited:
Our dog (6 yr healer/shepherd cross) is dying to "play" with our 7 week olds. In the brooder he didn't do much but look - but when I have put them in the playpen he charges at it trying to get to them.
I knew I needed to start big training with him as there will be times I want to allow free ranging. First have put him in his kennel/tote in the house while chicks were outside. Then, another time, I moved the kennel out to near where the chicks were - so he could watch and hear and smell. The I let him out but on a sort leash with me. Now I leave him loose, but he has to stay with me. If I go in, he goes in. His behavior has greatly improved. I don't fully trust him yet - but we are closer!!! :D

Good luck!!!

Oh, and rewards for good behavior. Our dog just loves getting attention, praise and petting from us so I have to make sure to give him equal attention when I'm with the chicks to prevent jealous misbehavior. :/

I would put an electric wire around the tractor and the permenant coop and let the dog shock himself. Not only would it take care of the dog problem other predators would get "the shock treatment" as well.

I totally agree too. I cannot stand to see a dog tied up. We were with him, had the chickens in the tractor and him tied where he could barely reach them. Today was much better, he was not on a leash, chain, or anything else and left the tractor alone. But that was with everyone out there. I can't imagine what he'll do when we start leaving him alone with the birds in the tractor. He kept rushing at it...I think he liked frightening them, lol.

But speaking of chaining him. He was leaving the "yard" which is three houses on 23 acres. Each time he left the yard, we'd bring him home and either lock him in a fenced area or chain him on the front porch where he could roam around in the front yard. The only danger I saw was that he wouldn't poop. He would wait until we let him go. What dangers should I worry about? He would wrap himself around the columns on the porch but finally figured it out. I hate to see dogs tied up, we don't live in the city and our neighbors feel the same so it's all worked out well. Now that he stays at home. Which is the point I'm rambling about...he stays home now. We only had to chain him for a couple of weeks and he finally got the message and the meaning of "stay".

Sooooooo that makes me wonder if I could use the same tactic with him to get him to leave the birds alone. I had friends tell me that they don't fence-in the chickens to protect them from the dog. And we'll have a hard time coming up with the money for a fence the size I want. I so want them to be able to free range without the fence.

I like the ideas, thanks for sharing your knowledge/opinions everyone! We've only got a short time to figure it all out.

Here's another question - my neighbor uses our pasture for his cows. Do I need to worry about a cow trampling a hen? Or will the chickens avoid the cows (I'm hoping)?

Thanks!!!

I totally agree too. I cannot stand to see a dog tied up. We were with him, had the chickens in the tractor and him tied where he could barely reach them. Today was much better, he was not on a leash, chain, or anything else and left the tractor alone. But that was with everyone out there. I can't imagine what he'll do when we start leaving him alone with the birds in the tractor. He kept rushing at it...I think he liked frightening them, lol.

But speaking of chaining him. He was leaving the "yard" which is three houses on 23 acres. Each time he left the yard, we'd bring him home and either lock him in a fenced area or chain him on the front porch where he could roam around in the front yard. The only danger I saw was that he wouldn't poop. He would wait until we let him go. What dangers should I worry about? He would wrap himself around the columns on the porch but finally figured it out. I hate to see dogs tied up, we don't live in the city and our neighbors feel the same so it's all worked out well. Now that he stays at home. Which is the point I'm rambling about...he stays home now. We only had to chain him for a couple of weeks and he finally got the message and the meaning of "stay".

Sooooooo that makes me wonder if I could use the same tactic with him to get him to leave the birds alone. I had friends tell me that they don't fence-in the chickens to protect them from the dog. And we'll have a hard time coming up with the money for a fence the size I want. I so want them to be able to free range without the fence.

I like the ideas, thanks for sharing your knowledge/opinions everyone! We've only got a short time to figure it all out.

Here's another question - my neighbor uses our pasture for his cows. Do I need to worry about a cow trampling a hen? Or will the chickens avoid the cows (I'm hoping)?

Thanks!!!

From first hand experience a dog tied up could easily strangle itself......I had the unfortunate privelege of telling an old neighbor his dog was hanging (dead) off the side porch because he slipped off the side when tied up.

Our front porch is like a patio/terrace (flush with the ground) so I didn't think of that. I did worry that he would get tangled among the columns. And he did. But after a few times he figured out how to backup and unwind. Good news is he's not been tied up and not been digging at the tractor. He does still rush at them, just to watch them stir. :( And he's stopped standing at the door at night when we're taking care of them. So that's a good sign. :)

Back
Top Bottom