Dog chat!

Which of these dog breeds do do you prefer?

• Total voters
Pics
Brittany spaniels!

My dream goal is to take in dogs that the shelter just doesn't have time to train and work with them... Often shelters work with the dogs with least issues while the ones with biggest problems get put down... And I would love to help them with these dogs!

Thankfully I have parents who are very encouraging and are helping me make my dream possible! When I'm 16 I will be getting my certification in dog training and then from there, I'm planning on doing behaviorist classes!

I am working with a dog right now that is a pain in a half but it is really open my eyes to me! There is a joy like no other when you know you have saved a life and become a partner to an animal!

Tastyacres- the job your describing is MY job!!! I work for a rescue that specializes in training and rehabilitating behaviorally "special needs" dogs, and placing them for adoption with life long support and continued training. We take dogs from all the local shelters and "pounds", rehab them, and place them :) we get a few lifers here and there but have an extremely high success rate.

Tastyacres- the job your describing is MY job!!! I work for a rescue that specializes in training and rehabilitating behaviorally "special needs" dogs, and placing them for adoption with life long support and continued training. We take dogs from all the local shelters and "pounds", rehab them, and place them :) we get a few lifers here and there but have an extremely high success rate.
That is so cool!

I've always wanted to do this and dad has given me permission to foster our first dog this winter when we get our house built! :yesss:

What kind of training do you do?

I've been doing clicker and have loved it so far!

That is so cool!

I've always wanted to do this and dad has given me permission to foster our first dog this winter when we get our house built! :yesss:

What kind of training do you do?

I've been doing clicker and have loved it so far!

I'm a +r trainer- I like clicker training as well. A lot of people try to use heavy handed "balanced" training with very special needs dogs, I just don't think it's nessecary. Training with pos. reinforcement may take longer to see full results but I've found that your training sticks better once you lay a very good foundation.

Congrats on almost getting your first foster! I remember my first- an ancient blind and deaf dauschaund mix, haha. Sweet girl.

I'm a +r trainer- I like clicker training as well. A lot of people try to use heavy handed "balanced" training with very special needs dogs, I just don't think it's nessecary. Training with pos. reinforcement may take longer to see full results but I've found that your training sticks better once you lay a very good foundation.

Congrats on almost getting your first foster! I remember my first- an ancient blind and deaf dauschaund mix, haha. Sweet girl.
Yeah, I'm really excited...

Awww!

Do you find it hard to work with disabled dogs?

Yeah, I've learned that... Working with my dog, he needed a good foundation in order for it to work.

Back
Top Bottom