Dog chewed through chainlink fence—8 chickens dead.

Sorry for your chickens. That owner should be shot, not the dog who is just being a dog. I'm currently fighting a battle with a neighbor's cat that is eying my flock.

I'm planning to let my dogs eat the cat :)

I raise Siberian Huskies and yes, they are more than able to chew through chain link if they set their minds to it.

To keep mine in the kennel and yard area, there is a cattle fence hot wire at ground level and four foot level and there are no escapees. I've heard of people using a hot wire on the run to keep dogs away.

Will

So sorry for you loss. We had a dog kill one of ours a couple months ago and our Animal control didnt do much, told him he needed to keep his dog confined and say sorry to us....Wow.....that didnt help my 4 yr old who wittnesed the traumatic event while i was trying to get the chicken from the dog.. Not to mention it was his very own chicken, he loved her she always ran right up to him for loving...

Hopefully your neghibor learned a hard lesson and will not allow it to happen again.

Quote:
That is just awful for your child!!! I am so sorry.
hit.gif

Jersey Fresh- I am truly sorry for your losses. I hate all the recent comments on loose dogs killing chcikens. I know dogs can get out on accident, but it is just worse somehow than when I read of a wild animal killing. I hope you are able to raise some new birds who may not replace the lost ones, but will still bring you enjoyment.
hugs.gif

To really get rid of the stray dogs, get hot wire fencing and put it near the bottom. Get shocked a couple of times. Hopefully won't want anything to do with it.

I always thought it was an urban legend that dogs could "chew" through chain link fencing

Often if they break just one wire, the fence will unravel enough for them to squeeze through.

My hound did it to get out of his kennel​

It probably due to the wire guage of the chain link fencing. The thinner they are, the better access the dog would have than a heavier guage wire.

I hate it when owners are irresponsible!

There are different gauges of chain link fence just as there are different gauges of chicken wire. Neither "chain link" nor "chicken wire" is a described standard. Some of the cheaper dog run panels are real lite compared to commercial chain link fencing. The attachment of the fence to the frame can also be a weak point.

I'm trying very hard to look at this as a "what am I supposed to learn from this" experience.
Spent last evening repairing the hole and fortifying a 15' section that could pose similar problems. I have a huge roll of chain link that I wired onto the existing fence and it goes down into the cement irrigation ditch. I feel confident the run is 99% dog proof.

The new girls are doing nicely and "Lucky" even came out of the coop this morning.

Thanks for all the kind words
smile.png

Quote:
Sorry to hear this and hope things go better next time around... We also have a chicken named "Lucky" from our last hatch in April, she was the only survivor from a batch of 16 killed by dog...

Last edited:
Quote:
GOOD ON YOU for this. Most folks get caught up in the emotion...which is super easy to do, to be sure, but they miss the "lesson" in the bad experience.

I would strongly urge you to check out the coop/run section here on BYC - my worry for you is that chain link really isn't the best fencing for chickens; if you have raccoons, opposums, skunk...all can reach through & grab a chicken very easily, choke it...even pull portions through the fencing. Hardware cloth is a really good option, sunk into the ground...but there are other options as well.

That being said, I am very sorry for your loss. I hope the survivors are doing alright!

Back
Top Bottom