Dog Chewing toenails..... Suggestions

lockedhearts

It's All About Chicken Math
12 Years
Apr 29, 2007
Georgia
We have a Giant Schnauzer or Bouvier Des Flandres, we found him, vet and some others say he looks more like a schnauzer than a Bouvier, his head and body are narrower. But, anyway. Recently he has begun to chew his own toenails
sickbyc.gif
he has chewed the ones on the inside on both front feet, the one on the right is so bad that tonight it started bleeding, all over the floor
barnie.gif
I put some bleed stop powder on it and wrapped it with gauze and vet wrap. I trimmed what was left of the nail back as far as I could. I noticed he has split the toenail on the left foot and although not bleeding yet, I am sure it will be soon.

He gets plenty of exercise, eats a good diet, is wormed regularly. I have Jack Russells and while they have their oddities (one snaps at invisible bugs, another rolls around the bed and barks) they do not self-mutilate.....

I really do not have the extra to take him to the vet right now, but will if I feel it is becoming urgent, just hoping that someone has some insight as to why he started an how to stop this.

I've known a lot of dogs that do this, in fact my GSD used to do this to a small degree, he'd also chew on his own hocks and made one bald for a while.
roll.png

Anyway -- I have heard that this might be a sign of nutritional imbalance, but I suspect its not the case with your dog. I am sure your dogs diet is good. I have attributed this behavior to a bored dog and also has something to do with anxiety. It did in my GSD, the less exercise he'd get and the less training we'd do the more he'd chew his hocks and toenails. Funny how people also chew their nails when bored or anxious.

He does like to go with me, when I leave the house, I have not taken him lately. It is very hard to keep a good diet when you have 4 small dogs and a large one. I finally bit the bullet and buy a good quality dog food, I just buy the small bites so the JR's can eat it easy.
They go outside several times a day and he runs the property (we have 6 acres) . I am wondering if my leaving him at home more now is the issue.

More often than not it is a food allergy or deficiency as was suggested. My lab has to be fed a raw natural diet most of the time. I can tell when it's time as he starts chewing his feet and his backside.
sharon

Quote:
He has been eating the same diet for almost two years, this just started this week. I doubt it is a food allergy. I can't imagine deficiency either. I am leaning towards boredom/anxiety.

Allergies build over time and become worse through the dog's lifetime. My akita could eat lamb for the first 4 years of her life and then a year ago we tried a lamb based version of a dog food brand we'd been using and she broke out horribly. Itched holes next to her ears and on her flanks. Took months to clear it up and even other brands of food with lamb made it worse again. Every now and then dog food companies will change the source or even the actual listed ingredients causing dogs to have sudden reactions. The companies usually don't own up to it until people start complaining. I quit using a dog food my dog did great on because they'd pull crap like that all the time and I was buying in bulk online for free shipping. I knew it was just a matter of time before I got stuck with a several $100 order that I couldn't use because of them changing things without warning.

Also pay attention to any change in floor cleaners or any air freshners used since they could be sensitive to that.

Quote:
I am personally, the Queen of allergies, I am allergic to everything that grows outside, I am allergic to hay and Pine and I have Horses. 2 of my 4 JR's are allergic to certain things in food and they have Flea Allergies. Trust me when I say I am about 99% sure this is not a Food Allergy. If it was my JR's would be hairless scabbed over wrecks. They are both extremely sensitive to Food. I am very careful about what my dogs eats. I am also very diligent on Flea products, I am OCD about it, one tiny little flea bite and the dogs go crazy. We found this Dog 2 years ago, I do not know his history, but he is loving, very protective and extremely attached to me. He does not appear to have separation anxiety, but I now that Jamie_Dog_Trainer mentioned anxiety, I realized I had changed my habit of taking him with me, it is getting warmer and I do not want him sitting in the truck when it is hot, he went with me everywhere this winter. I am betting even though he is outwardly not showing anxiety, that this is his way of dealing with being left at home.

i have to say i also think it to be a food allery or just a reaction to something. i have 3 jack russells. and my oldest did this we end up changing the diet, gave shots and finally after much money .we had bought a new vaccum and he has not had the problem
wee.gif
something in the carpet broke him out and we had no fleas
thank god!!!!!!!
its crazy, but it works i hope you do not have to go thru a long process to find your anwer.

Back
Top Bottom