Dog color genetics

abigalerose

Songster
Feb 22, 2016
If you were to breed a red heeler (male) to a red and white border collie (female- short hair) is it possible they would produce any blue puppies?
What are all the color possibilities?
And would they all be short hair?

*red heeler is out of one blue parent and one red parent

If you were to breed a red heeler (male) to a red and white border collie (female- short hair) is it possible they would produce any blue puppies?
What are all the color possibilities?
And would they all be short hair?

*red heeler is out of one blue parent and one red parent

Not totally sure (Ask me about cat genetics. That I can answer, but I believe blue is the dilute of black (going back to dogs now and pretending these are shelties.) so your red heeler would carry the blue recessively. Since it is recessive, if both prospective parents (the heeler and border collie) carry the blue gene, there would be the possibility of a quarter of the puppies being blue and of the red puppies would have a 2/3 chance of carrying the gene or if you counted all the puppies, 50% would carry recessively. Of course that is on average so it could also be all or none.

Yes blue is the dilute of black. That much I know lol. Not sure what the border collie comes out of so I don't know what she carries, but I could probably find out.

Back
Top Bottom